Football

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

toursitinyouth
New member - welcome them!

Football

Post by toursitinyouth »

Hi,

I have dyspraxia and I also play football...

I never really noticed how bad my dyspraxia was until I started playing football again, and I began tripping over the ball or my own two feet. I constantly run into other players and often or not don’t understand where to run or what position I’m supposed to be running into receive the ball.

It’s getting to a stage where I am extremely embarrassed, as I once played professional football for Celtic when I was younger, and now I can hardly kick a ball without missing it or falling flat on my face.

If anyone had any suggestions please lemme know!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Football

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Some Dyspraxic do very well at defying the stereotypical expectation that we're no good at and will avoid sport at all costs if we can.

So are you coming back to football after a long time away? Are you perhaps unfairly comparing yourself to your younger self and putting massive pressure on yourself to try to compete with much younger? fitter? people who have not had the same amount of time away from playing regularly?

I'm really not sporty, though I do walk a fair bit. I find I have a tendency for demanding excellence but if this is not immediately attainable I'm quite apt to being very unkind to myself if for any reason I cannot attain or sustain the impossibly standards I tend to expect of myself. however unrealistic my expectations might be.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
JamesBurt

Post by JamesBurt »

It doesn't stop me from living and playing football. When I was a child, my mother noticed that I lost my coordination periodically and thought it necessary to develop me as much as possible. That's the reason why I've attended so many sports clubs before. It was football, tennis and even swimming. Sometimes there are still days when it is difficult to get on the field for the game, then I just turn on [Advertising Link removed] and enjoy the match in virtual mode.
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: What point of No Advertising do you Not understand Banned and removed!
northuxuj

Post by northuxuj »

Oh, you don't have to continue playing football is this way. You have to consult a doctor.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

northuxuj wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:36 am Oh, you don't have to continue playing football is this way. You have to consult a doctor.

Again zero context or relevance.
You've earned a summary and permanent ban
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
leebenjamin

Post by leebenjamin »

I have a friend who plays football and also has dyspraxia and it has been a challenge for him as well. However, there are ways to work around it.
First of all, it's important to talk to a doctor or a therapist about your condition. They can give you specific tips and exercises to help improve your coordination and balance.
Another great resource to check out is https://zumroad.com/sport, they have a lot of articles and tips on how to improve your football skills and overcome any challenges you may face.
Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself. Playing football is not just about kicking the ball, it's also about teamwork, strategy, and mental toughness.