Thoughts

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

niamhwaite
New member - welcome them!

Thoughts

Post by niamhwaite »

I don't know if half of what I experience is due to my dyspraxia or not, its very confusing and borderline scary if I'm honest. I got handed a diagnosis and not given any sort of explanation or help or guidance outside of googling stuff. I have issues with forming coherent thoughts a lot of the time, that combined with my abysmal memory can be really terrifying and i don't know how to deal with it, especially being at university and not really having a solid support system.
I guess I'm making this to see if I'm alone in this, or whether its a common thing with dyspraxia. I was only diagnosed in December 2019 and I'm very confused by all of it.

Also another thing, is my inability to form routine no matter how small or how important a dyspraxia thing? Or is that something else?

Idk i hope this isn't too annoying i don't really have anyone to talk to about this so this was my next stop i guess. :boxedin:
Probably bored and forgetting something important I'm meant to be doing :ball:
Niamh :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Thoughts

Post by Tom fod »

niamhwaite wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:53 am I don't know if half of what I experience is due to my dyspraxia or not, its very confusing and borderline scary if I'm honest. I got handed a diagnosis and not given any sort of explanation or help or guidance outside of googling stuff. I have issues with forming coherent thoughts a lot of the time, that combined with my abysmal memory can be really terrifying and i don't know how to deal with it, especially being at university and not really having a solid support system.
I guess I'm making this to see if I'm alone in this, or whether its a common thing with dyspraxia. I was only diagnosed in December 2019 and I'm very confused by all of it.

Also another thing, is my inability to form routine no matter how small or how important a dyspraxia thing? Or is that something else?

Idk i hope this isn't too annoying i don't really have anyone to talk to about this so this was my next stop i guess. :boxedin:
Hi Niamh

The only thing annoying is that you've been let down by lack of info and 'What Does this all mean support?' But I'm/we're glad you've found us.

Dyspraxia so often goes hand in hand with anxiety and can really mess with our clarity of thinking. We tend to be big picture thinkers so look at things from many angles and that can so easily become overwhelming. People's experiences of dyspraxia can be similar or widely diverse and sites like Medical News Today can provide info that is at best subjective.

From a wider Neurodiversity perspective some folk with dyspraxia might have ADHD too, or at least some of the traits, though not necessarily enough to be assigned the label and tried on medication. (and not everyone wants to be!)

I do find I derive some comfort in having routines as Dyspraxia has a tendency for everything to feel a bit uncontrolled and panicked. But then things and other people seldom conform and trying to control things can be a route to madness. I think that ship may already have sailed :evilb:

My go to analogy is that I liken dyspraxia to my living with a pesky and mischievous Goblin alter ego. He likes to sow confusion and throw spanners into the workings of my plans. We have an uneasy truce. Most of the time I can outwit him with patience humour and good grace but some days he gets the upper hand and I just want to strangle the little blighter!

Do check out this Forum we have a mine of member posts on all kinds of topics. There's a lot more info online these days and some lively and sometimes fiery debate in Dyspraxic Communities on Social Media, so this Forum is a comparative oasis of calm with a much slower pace

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... dae65915ef

Feel free to post any further questions you have or use the keyword search facility to search this forum.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)