Aid to anxiety

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom
New member - welcome them!

Aid to anxiety

Post by Tom »

Hi Everyone,
I have struggled for years with dyspraxia. I was diagnosed when I was 23 but never had any help or support. I've only just got to grips with all the fiendish issues that affect my daily life. I found that even though I have got better at doing things, through sheer bloody-minded determination, I have never trusted myself not to f**k up.

The anxiety of making a mistake often made certain tasks so much harder.

Last year I was put on pregabalin to help with anxiety. I my god does it work so well! It has removed all my fear. I am able to do so much more now like climb ladders or talk to strangers.

I don't know what everyone thinks about being medicated but I highly recommend them. They've changed my life. I now believe in myself and my ability to do my job (I'm a gardener) has gone up tremendously.

Just thought I would let you all know.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Aid to anxiety

Post by Tom fod »

Tom

I'm glad you've found something to help with the often crushing fear and anxiety that so often seems to go hand in hand with dyspraxia. Have you had any counselling alongside your medication? Definitely had that fear of messing up but as Bismarck said learn by the mistakes of others.

I will caveat that by adding; whenever you can avoid making them yourself. Our longer term memory can be a double edged sword as we remember all our mistakes and the associated pain and shame more vividly which is so often massively inhibiting.

It's also worth stating that specific medications may not be appropriate for everyone. You should always consult your doctor and make an informed choice.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/pregabalin/
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)