Support for people who were diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Support for people who were diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child

Post by ALADDIN »

I have dyspraxia , ADHD and aspergers traits.

I am aged 42.

I received a diagnosed of dyspraxia aged 33. Aged 23, I received speech therapy,
after speech therapy I was told I may I have dyspraxia. I thought dyspraxia was just being clumsy , I learned about adult dyspraxia , I learned it was much more than being clumsy.

For people who were diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child, what support did you get, speech therapy , occupational therapy, physiotherapy etc ?

What support did you get in school ?

I got a degree, postgraduate qualification , professional qualification undiagnosed with dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Support for people who were diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child

Post by Xenavire »

I was diagnosed at 11-12. When I was 9-10 I was put in a remedial handwriting class (I wouldn't call it therapy). Later, I was briefly given a typing device for schoolwork (which my highschool didn't bother with.)

That's quite literally all I was offered.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It depends on a variety of factors including when and where you were educated. What awareness and interest the school/your teachers had and to a degree how involved your parents were in working with your teachers.

Once you leave full time education the support /regimen is no longer there. I'm presuming you were generally quite studious despite your ADHD?

My support felt like it was more about my visual impairment though additional time and a separate room to do exams helped.

Not sure anyone ever sat me down and tried to explain Dyspraxia. What would they have said and would I have listened? Equally not sure how I would have reacted.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I was studious despite my ADHD.

I got a degree undiagnosed with dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits.

I had problems with handwriting, revising for exams, emotional issues , I did not have a focused mind.

I did not know how to tackle the “system”.

See,

https://youtu.be/k-yM-7wqMAI

This girl started university in 2001.

I graduated from university in 1999, finished postgraduate study in 2000.

I had a non-standard diagnosis of aspergers traits in 2004, I received a diagnosis of dyspraxia in 2012. I received a diagnosis of ADHD in 2020 !

See 6 minutes 5 seconds !
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

Tom fod wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:34 am It depends on a variety of factors including when and where you were educated. What awareness and interest the school/your teachers had and to a degree how involved your parents were in working with your teachers.

Once you leave full time education the support /regimen is no longer there. I'm presuming you were generally quite studious despite your ADHD?

My support felt like it was more about my visual impairment though additional time and a separate room to do exams helped.

Not sure anyone ever sat me down and tried to explain Dyspraxia. What would they have said and would I have listened? Equally not sure how I would have reacted.
I agree !
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

So do you think that not knowing at school and university helped?

I do sometimes wonder whether my learning earlier might have helped, (or not?)

The special treatment at school/college - for what I assumed was all aimed at compensating for my visual impairment - did not sit that well with me, even though I should count myself as fortunate in many respects.

Diagnosis has an impact and both our own and the reactions of those around have a bearing. Declaring to others can go either way.

Equally not knowing can often make us turn on ourselves and/or may result in our developing unhealthy 'coping' strategies which often take a toll on our mental health.

What are others' thoughts?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I wish I had been formally diagnosed with dyspraxia and ADHD.

I passed my driving test after 10 attempts in a manual car . I have bad handwriting. I would have had someone to take the notes on lectures and extra time in exams. In school, I was bad at drawing .Having undiagnosed ADHD has caused me problems in my life .

I would have attended a 6th form college gorbA Levels. I was not happy in my private school.