communication on zoom

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

communication on zoom

Post by ALADDIN »

I have dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits.

I find it zoom hard to use.

I struggle with processing speed.

My perceptual organisation is below average.

Does anyone else find communication on zoom at times difficult ?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: communication on zoom

Post by Tom fod »

It's not the easiest in terms of it's buttonology and degree of intuitiveness. can't say I'm that much a fan of it's competitors.

Equally if you already have difficulties communicating with others, doing it over video chat adds another level of complexity especially the more people there are and if your communication style differs significantly from theirs'.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ronanoshea
New member - welcome them!

Post by ronanoshea »

I have to use Zoom a lot in my work in a care home, for staff training and team meetings. I also use Zoom for a course I am doing in psychology. I find it okay during the course because usually one person is speaking at a time but in team meetings and trainings people often speak over each other. I also find that some people aren't too familiar with Zoom so they don't know how to mute themselves when not talking, which means there are a lot of loud noises that I find uncomfortable.
AbagailWolf
New member - welcome them!

Post by AbagailWolf »

Zoom can be a real challenge, especially for people with dyspraxia, ADHD, or Asperger's traits. It can make it even harder if you have issues with processing speed and organizing things visually. But don't worry, you're definitely not alone! Lots of other folks also find Zoom communication a bit tricky. Have you ever heard of [URL removed by admin]? They might have some great tips and tricks to help you out.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dodgy link removed
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I think my hardest thing with zoom having to use it recently was the fact the main view kept changing from the main person like my course trainer to the last person to make a noise once I had sorted that out on the 1st or start of the 2nd course then it worked properly,

but the course instructor cut the end short rather than allowing us time to speak outside of the course so wasn't able to set it up at the end of the course in the settings, as once the host stops the session then you aren't able to change settings before closing zoom. but like I said once I set it to stop it from flicking between people at break-neck speed then it worked fine.

so I can understand why zoom is hard to use on a user basis, and not straight forward, and user friendly.

and yes the fact that people don't mute there microphones is the main issue I had with it especially for coughs, splutters, sneezing, or whatever noise you can think of.