Feeling Down

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lenore
Getting settled in

Feeling Down

Post by Lenore »

Hi

Having a bit of a wobble, I got my formal diagnosis today, should get the full report in a few days. I'd been given a strong indication that I was dyspraxic by my OT with the forms I filled in a few months ago but Lockdown meant I've had to wait to be seen. I've been recommended to see a behavioural optometrist as well so that's set up for later next month all being well.
I am nearly 52, not ancient by any stretch (can feel like that!) and it's really hit me the amount of my life I have spent struggling, and I wish I'd known years ago. I've spent many years being really hard on myself, so on one hand It's a relief to know there's something behind what I have called my awkwardness or weirdness. On the other it feels overwhelming to have a disorder I will never be cured of. It almost felt better to just be hard on myself and one day I would be able to pull myself together and it would all be fine. I know there are upsides to being neurodivergent and I realise that I can learn new skills, do things differently and have my own ways of learning stuff, but the diagnosis will remain the same. Anyway I just wanted to say this to people who get it.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Feeling Down

Post by Xenavire »

I'm not sure anyone takes the news well at first. But my outlook has been, for a very long time, that in the case of Dyspraxia especially, that knowledge is power. Knowing what it is gives you an armoury full of tips and tricks that can make your life easier, helps you connect with people with similar difficulties, and helps you come to terms with what has always felt off your entire life.

In short - it may not feel like it right now, but this is a positive step.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I think we all go through the stages of grief and what might have been had we known earlier. Also the questions of who do we tell and how will they react are hard to process

I certainly struggled when I learned. You could see it as testament to your coping and masking skills. Above all be kind to yourself, you deserve it!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Lenore
Getting settled in

Post by Lenore »

Thank you for for your replies, getting a diagnosis has been much harder than I anticipated. As they say knowledge is power, and there is support out there.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

At least you have a reason for your difficulties now. It doesn’t ultimately change anything but it can help you understand your difficulties better and you may find that your coping mechanisms develop a bit more organically around them. Like what has been said, knowledge is power.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: