Seeking advice

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

spiderplant
New member - welcome them!

Seeking advice

Post by spiderplant »

Hello!

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm 29 and struggle with cognitive motor neuron type skills and spatial awareness. I always finds it takes me ages to pick up new cognitive physical tasks and especially in new environments at work, when I feel under pressure to be quick or pick things up quickly. I have never had a diagnosis and is hard to talk to my mum about these things. As a child, I found it hard to write, tie shoes, and other things such as this. When asked, my mum said she thought something may have been different with me, but said she didnt want me treated any different at school (which I think is very unhelpful thinking!)

I don't know whether this is linked, but I also find clapping a rhythm completely impossible - I can't really hear it in music too. Would this be something that might be part of dyspraxia?

I was wondering if any of you could offer any advice on things? I don't know whether I would meet the criteria for a diagnosis but I do find this impacts on my self-esteem, especially when I compare myself to others. I have recently moved from a mental health career to horticulture and gardening and I feel doing more practical stuff could have potential to affect my confidence/self-esteem.

Many thanks and apologies if this is a bit vague! Please just ask if you'd like me to elaborate further.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Seeking advice

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

This as good a section as any and if I have a fit of pique I can easily move your post and my response into Getting Help and assessment. I think you've expressed yourself perfectly adequately, From a dyspraxic pedant like myself, that is high praise!

By cognitive motor neuron type skills, I'm guessing you're referring to the idea that themessage between brain and appropriate action(s) gets lost?. If my brain is working I think it can also be called Executive Function.

I think the older generation and teachers were more inclined not to assign a label to people and assume they would catch up when ready. If you weren't disruptive and muddled along they'd let you.

The question of clapping was raised in a Facebook Group I'm in and I must admit I feel a bit self conscious/awkward. Some Dyspraxics do have issues with auditory processing and or following/maintaining a rhythm well, others are musicians. We've even had a Dyspraxic Arborist here.

Definitely worth a chat with your GP in case there is anything buried in your Medical record. Sadly some GPs don't know a lot about Dyspraxia so it is recommended that you go along with some notes and examples of difficulties. Even then, your GP may not have many options for referring you so it may be worth looking at the Occupational Health option. In part it depends whether you're at college and/or working for a larger employer with forward thinking HR policies? Can imagine working in the MH field is likely high stress. A lot of adults are self assessed/declared and have been unable to obtain or afford professional confirmation. Getting on paper professional confirmation is useful in that it gives people a starting point and can be helpful in compelling an employer if you need to ask for reasonable adjustments at work

We do have a tendency to compare ourselves which is detrimental and can definitely have a corrosive effect on our self esteem.

Hope my initial response is of some help/comfort.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
spiderplant
New member - welcome them!

Re: Seeking advice

Post by spiderplant »

Hi!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. I'm sorry for my late response. I thought I'd get notified and hadn't checked.

Executive Function hits the nail on the head - I've been reading more about difficulties with this and it really does fit for me. It feels very validating to read about this and your response. I once went to the doctor about my concerns and didn't have a very positive response. I think I'll take your advice and take some notes with me, if I feel brave enough to try again!

For now, I think it's helpful to acknowledge it myself and what may help. Perhaps I'll inform employees in the future, as I feel this may be more empowering to acknowledge it and recognise it. Do you find anything helps in particular with your experienceS?

I wonder if dyspraxia links at all to social anxiety? I find it very challenging to be in groups, conversations etc. I find I get overstimulated a lot and need time out. May be unrelated entirely but another thing that affects my confidence! I'll dig more in the forum too as this may have already come up before!

@Isee - that's very interesting about your saxophone and your feet - I find it amazing that you are able to play from hearing someone else!