What exactly is Dyspraxia?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Unsolved
Getting settled in

What exactly is Dyspraxia?

Post by Unsolved »

I'm going to try harder for a job soon but before I tell people that I have Dyspraxia, I want to make sure I understand 100% what it is first.
These are my traits. Readers and forum members, please tell me if I have all the traits or if I'm missing some traits.
1)Slow learner.

2)Poor math skills

3)Poor driving skills

4)Poor sports skills(But can do better in martial arts class probably cause I have the interest to push myself harder)

5)Bad coordination

6)Poor memory after being taught something but can understand if repeatedly taught many times.

7)Bad kitchen skills but can make simple meals in the oven or toaster.

8)Slower to understand the basic steps and required knowledge to play an online game faster than other online gamers.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: What exactly is Dyspraxia?

Post by Xenavire »

Not everyone has all the specific signs or 'symptoms' of Dyspraxia. I'm the total opposite on several of your points, yet I'm sure there are plenty of things you have no trouble with that I am abysmal at doing.

If you have been formally diagnosed, I believe that's all you need to tell people when you disclose - they can't turn around and say you don't qualify because you miss out on one of dozens of particular difficulties. That said, there are links around that should help, and checking what is law about disclosing should help clear things up for you.
Unsolved
Getting settled in

Post by Unsolved »

Xenavire wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:15 pm Not everyone has all the specific signs or 'symptoms' of Dyspraxia. I'm the total opposite on several of your points, yet I'm sure there are plenty of things you have no trouble with that I am abysmal at doing.

If you have been formally diagnosed, I believe that's all you need to tell people when you disclose - they can't turn around and say you don't qualify because you miss out on one of dozens of particular difficulties. That said, there are links around that should help, and checking what is law about disclosing should help clear things up for you.
Oh ok. Thanks for answering. If anyone else reading suspects that what I have could not be Dyspraxia but something else, let me know.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

Just to be crystal clear, I don't think that anything you have said indicates that you don't have Dyspraxia. In fact, based on what you have said, I think it is likely you do have it. But I'm not a trained professional, so if you aren't sure, you should definitely ask someone that is. Having a diagnosis doesn't make the issues we face go away, but it can give us some clarity and peace of mind.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I'm going to try harder for a job soon but before I tell people that I have Dyspraxia, I want to make sure I understand 100% what it is first.
The medical profession barely understand what it is, Many employers sadly understand even less, they just want someone who will work competently and show initiative. We are infinitely capable in the right job with the right employer, who is ready to offer us the right training and support

These are my traits. Readers and forum members, please tell me if I have all the traits or if I'm missing some traits.
1)Slow learner. NOT exclusive to Dyspraxia

2)Poor math skills
Could be Dyscalculia but not exclusive to that. Low maths confidence and thus interest can be a barrier in itself.

3)Poor driving skills.
Many with Dyspraxia drive but just as many struggle to pass the test as learning to coordinate feet and hands and be aware of ones surroundings (spatial awareness) and anticipate the likely actions of other drivers can make driving a stressful activity we choose or are forced to opt out of.

4)Poor sports skills(But can do better in martial arts class probably cause I have the interest to push myself harder)
Martial arts are good for building confidence and improving coordination. If we have a passion for something we can push beyond the notion of what we and others might perceive as 'impossible' for us.

5)Bad coordination see above

6)Poor memory after being taught something but can understand if repeatedly taught many times.
Working memory can often be a struggle but we can find coping strategies. I'm very much Learn by Doing

7)Bad kitchen skills but can make simple meals in the oven or toaster.
Again practice and/or find yourself a patient teacher/ learn in your own way

8)Slower to understand the basic steps and required knowledge to play an online game faster than other online gamers.
It is better if we don't constantly compare ourselves to others! Not an easy thing as we naturally still do this.

It would be wrong of any of us to try to rule Dyspraxia in or out, based on a series of posts here. We are not professionals with medical or educational psychology training. That said it won't hurt for you to look at dyspraxia coping strategies and to say to an employer I do have difficulties, which may be dyspraxia but you can help me by being patient and flexible. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of what employment regulations regarding discrimination in regard disability exist in Malaysia.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)