Positive Trait of Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Positive Trait of Dyspraxia

Post by ALADDIN »

I have a high IQ, I am good with words. I have a great vocabulary. I can tell great jokes. Is that a positive trait of dyspraxia ? :)
The new luddite
Getting settled in

Re: Positive Trait of Dyspraxia

Post by The new luddite »

I don't think Dyspraxia affects intelligence just the way we learn because our brains are wired a little differently and the the fact we have to find novel coping strategies we are often good "outside the box thinkers" (my honest and slightly naive response to that statement first time I heard it was "What box ?" dunno if that's a good or bad thing :) )
Never heard of any link between sense of humour and Dyspraxia directly but may be the ability to come at things from a different angle helps ?
Or maybe your just a funny guy (or gal not sure which just guessing).
Jette
New member - welcome them!

Post by Jette »

Think there may well be anecdotal evidence regarding humour and dyspraxia.
Isn't Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) dyspraxic?
I teach one-on-one and my students think I'm hilarious and I usually can get a good laugh out of my friends too. For me, this has always been a coping strategy (albeit subconscious). Hence I wouldn't be surprised if it were more common.
PS. You had me laugh regarding the box - agree :)
CarrieKitch

Post by CarrieKitch »

I think you may be right. I use humour a lot as an adult learning facilitator. I found out many eons ago that laughing at yourself when you say something the wrong way round stops the criticism and it stopped the bullying
Jan135

Post by Jan135 »

ALADDIN wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am I have a high IQ, I am good with words. I have a great vocabulary. I can tell great jokes. Is that a positive trait of dyspraxia ? :)
Good to see you are looking at things so positively! Keep it up!
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

ALADDIN wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am I have a high IQ, I am good with words. I have a great vocabulary. I can tell great jokes. Is that a positive trait of dyspraxia ? :)
I'm think I'm good with words (I worked as a copywriter before going back to uni) but I have to be allowed to write them, rather than speaking. I always put my foot in it when I speak out loud ... like in the lecture I just came from. :blush: If I've got the time to type stuff out though, I can be really, really concise.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I can’t find anything publicly documented that Rowan Atkinson has Dyspraxia or any other learning difficulty (unless he’s kept it private). But it is known that he had a speech impediment… especially on the letter B which resulted in the rather marvellous way he said ‘Bob’ in Blackadder.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
EmilyyNics
Getting settled in

Post by EmilyyNics »

Being very determined - meaning never gives up! :P
Emily :)