Welcome!

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Welcome!

Post by Tom fod »

Helen

Worth asking who Dyslexia Assessing Org is as most should be able to say well you have very few indicators for Dyslexia but we think you have Dyspraxia. Ask who they will use and whether they can assess give help/advice and assess for other Neurodivergent conditions.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I spoke to an occupational health lady this morning and she said it's the first time someone has approached her about dyspraxia and, since it is legally a disability, she feels that they ought to be able to help with an assessment. She is going to find out where they stand with it and see what she can do. I expect the policy is a little outdated.

I feel positive again and I will let you know.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Helenjohanna wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 pm I spoke to an occupational health lady this morning and she said it's the first time someone has approached her about dyspraxia and, since it is legally a disability, she feels that they ought to be able to help with an assessment. She is going to find out where they stand with it and see what she can do. I expect the policy is a little outdated.

I feel positive again and I will let you know.

Did you find out anymore - what organisation was that Occuaptional Therapist working for or with etc.?
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

She's at my workplace, the LAS. She got back to me and said the service won't pay.

I've booked a GP appointment for the 12th of this month and I will ask for a referral. If I'm unsuccessful, I have earmarked a lady to assess me. It will cost me £800.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I hope the GP can help, I was diagnosed by an NHS consultant psychiatrist in Colchester, Essex when I was 64 in 2014.

LAS??
Anurajos
New member - welcome them!

Post by Anurajos »

So tired of not being able to actually think ! how frustrating to try to explain what having not thoughts feels like. I cannot seem to plan everyone has it so easy when they can just do anything, but for me I HAVE NOT IDEA WHAT TO DO !
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Hello.

I have been recently diagnosed with dyspraxia, as a mature student at university. Currently on a steep learning curve about what it all really means and actually surprised that some of the things I struggle with the majority of other people don't!
glennloughran

Post by glennloughran »

Hi folks

I've just joined. I was on Dysspraxia pages on Facebook and the people were lovely but I decided to quit Facebook as I felt it was bad for my mental health. So I searched out forums on the subject and here I am. I'm 51 and was diagnosed at 48. A million mysteries solved at once.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

glennloughran wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 pm Hi folks

I've just joined. I was on Dysspraxia pages on Facebook and the people were lovely but I decided to quit Facebook as I felt it was bad for my mental health. So I searched out forums on the subject and here I am. I'm 51 and was diagnosed at 48. A million mysteries solved at once.
Hi Glenn and welcome

The People on and Faceache itself can definitely be a bit fractious. Welcome to the Forum. We are very much the quiet backwater/oasis of calm.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Amy2021

Post by Amy2021 »

Hi.

I'm needing to talk and meet some people who understand me more, so I have discovered this forum which I hope is still active.
I was diagnosed at 7 or so with dyspraxia but it was just becoming known apparently but still to this day you confide in people and they look at you confused like you just made it up.

I didn't learn to ride a bike until 12, and I have overcome quite a lot or so I thought. And only now I'm 27 my mum says I'm proud of how you overcome it, well this is many years to late, as now I'm finding things have built on top of me.
I am off to see my GP but I now think I'm experiencing depression as my moods are all over but anyhow that's off topic.
My mum knew I was diagnosed with this and what I would struggle with still she would say I'm clumsy and I had off siblings but she especially knew about this and she still kinda does it to the point all the past has come and making me struggle.
I'm struggling with my work with it, has anyone found it getting worded with age? Like I'm finding basic things difficult and I love my work but actually getting up to go there is filling me with dread.

I could go on for a while everyone I talk to my manager I end up crying, please say I'm not the only one feeling worthless and like it's getting worse.
](*,) :ghug:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Amy2021 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:37 am Hi.

I'm needing to talk and meet some people who understand me more, so I have discovered this forum which I hope is still active.
I was diagnosed at 7 or so with dyspraxia but it was just becoming known apparently but still to this day you confide in people and they look at you confused like you just made it up.

I didn't learn to ride a bike until 12, and I have overcome quite a lot or so I thought. And only now I'm 27 my mum says I'm proud of how you overcome it, well this is many years to late, as now I'm finding things have built on top of me.
I am off to see my GP but I now think I'm experiencing depression as my moods are all over but anyhow that's off topic.
My mum knew I was diagnosed with this and what I would struggle with still she would say I'm clumsy and I had off siblings but she especially knew about this and she still kinda does it to the point all the past has come and making me struggle.
I'm struggling with my work with it, has anyone found it getting worded with age? Like I'm finding basic things difficult and I love my work but actually getting up to go there is filling me with dread.

I could go on for a while everyone I talk to my manager I end up crying, please say I'm not the only one feeling worthless and like it's getting worse.
](*,) :ghug:
Hi Amy and welcome

The forum is still active in that I look after it and try to ensure posts are answered and any Spam is removed.

You adjust but you don't grow out of it per se it's more a case we find coping strategies that for the most part we are able to maintain. However sometimes live and it's changes can pull the rug from under our feet. We are prone to MH challenges as we so often have to push ourselves hard over a sustained time and that's not necessarily achievable or good for anyone. Work and the changes due to the pandemic and restrictions have put additional strain on us and our ability to flex with this may have been compromised by fatigue and uncertainty. Have your management or role changed? This can often cause a crisis in confidence for us! Admitting we need and then asking for help is difficult. If we've seemed capable before some managers just cannot understand how or why we've gone from going well or OK to suddenly struggling with what they consider to be simple. While I'm doing OK these I do and have had days where I just want to cry.

Do check out
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... 29c5092b91

and
https://anchor.fm/barbara-neill/episode ... t4PXWSSH4w
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

EmilyyNics
Getting settled in

Post by EmilyyNics »

My name is Emily, my Birthday is on 12th August. I also have Dyspraxia and you learn something new about yourself everyday of your life. I am a very determined person that never ever gives up but gives things a go because that is the importance. I think that people should give us a chance to see us a person rather than they are lazy because we ain't lazy but we are incredible human beings!
=D>
Emily :)
DaveyB

Post by DaveyB »

Hi, I'm Dave, I'm 67 & just coming to terms that I probably have dyspraxia, although I guess there are different levels. My son, now 28, was diagnosed at an early age & is also on the autism spectrum. Looking back, I can see several traits which should have been recognized in me earlier. Such as hand writing issues, balance etc. Now I have retired I have taken up lawn bowls, but find the hand eye co-ordination challenging. Is there anyone else out there with similar circumstances?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

DaveyB wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:24 pm Hi, I'm Dave, I'm 67 & just coming to terms that I probably have dyspraxia, although I guess there are different levels. My son, now 28, was diagnosed at an early age & is also on the autism spectrum. Looking back, I can see several traits which should have been recognized in me earlier. Such as hand writing issues, balance etc. Now I have retired I have taken up lawn bowls, but find the hand eye co-ordination challenging. Is there anyone else out there with similar circumstances?

Hi Dave

Welcome to the Forum. There is definitely a lot of diversity in the degree to which people are affected, how well they are able to develop and maintain coping/masking strategies to fit into a world geared for a neurotypical majority. A lot of parents make the connection from learning of their childrens dyspraxia.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Dyspraxicstruggles

Post by Dyspraxicstruggles »

Hey, I just found this today in an attempt to find strategies to help. I was unofficially diagnosed at 7 but it was the 90s and the ed psych wasn't able to diagnose. All she could say was I wasn't dyslexic (I didn't find out I had an assessment until I was diagnosed and my mum was like... yeah I knew that, I just didn't want to give you a label). I wasn't given support and was just the clumsy, couldn't write her own thoughts cohesively, creative kid. I was the kid that could mostly speak it all (in a bit of a jumble) but writing in the right order? Pfft.
I was formally diagnosed when I went to uni and life made a bit more sense. I wasn't thick, I wasn't an idiot. I'm just dyspraxic!
10+ years later I'm still trying to figure out what my dyspraxia is. When I was diagnosed I was just told 'it's why you can't walk in a straight line' but I've come to learn it's a lot more than that and actually the inability to walk in a straight line is like... the least of my struggles.
I just want to know if there's anything that I can do to make my life a bit easier. I literally do that for a living but to do it for myself is... hard.
So... hi everyone.