Is Anyone Sensitive To Noise or Odors?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

HelenJ
Getting settled in

Re: Is Anyone Sensitive To Noise or Odors?

Post by HelenJ »

Jim wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 am

How on earth I’ve ended up working in a busy office environment on the phones.. ? It’s almost beyond me 🤣

So relateable! I worked in call centres for years and certain pitched voices or sounds on the phone just set my teeth on edge...especially if people are breathing too deeply or rustling paper.
Dadam
New member - welcome them!

Post by Dadam »

I've always been extremely sensitive to sudden loud noises, especially high pitched or clicking/ticking sounds. I experience misophonia too where I can't stand the sound of certain people's voices, it's with NO ill-intention towards those people just the sounds they make!

I'm a musician so I think this works both ways, I react in strong negative ways to certain sounds and really resonate in a positive way with others which I'm drawn to so I think this plays a big part in my creative side.
dusakan

Post by dusakan »

During my first pregnancy I didn't experience any disgusting sensations, but my second time being pregnant I was sickened by all the smells I could smell. And it wasn't just smells, it was the subtle sounds of the universe that penetrated deep into my brain, painting pictures of rotten fish and worse. I felt so bad, I couldn't exist among people. I could smell what a person smelled like sweat or determine what kind of soap they had washed in the morning. I even put on cleansers from [Illegal advertising removed ] that people I knew advised me. It didn't help me for long, then I started to feel flashes of anger... Everything annoyed me, it turned out that I had a banal sore throat and aggravation of the sniffles.
allyblue

Post by allyblue »

I sometimes struggle with noisy environments to concentrate and i would say my sense of smell is sensitive. I can detect some smells, is probably a good thing.
RebeR23

Post by RebeR23 »

I'm sensitive to pungent smells, especially from aerosols. I can't use air freshener, deodorant, or cleaning products in aerosols. Also, my husband began to have noise sensitivity in our new rental apartment. It turned out to be high audibility here, and you could hear all the noises from the neighbors very much. Sometimes they turn up the music quite loud, which is annoying. On the contrary, it was as if I started to hear worse. I thought my husband started slurring his words, but when I visited a audiologist, I realized that my hearing had really started to drop.
esn

Post by esn »

allesandro wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 pm I've always been hypersensitive to noise and smell and while I've heard that sensitivity to noise is not uncommon among dyspraxics I've never heard anyone mention sensitivity to odors. It's often very difficult for me to use public rest rooms, and I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.
I really do not like strong smells such as incense or anything like that it makes me feel sooo sick and anything that has a strong perfume smell that is musky. Might be a personal thing? But I am also terrified of balloons and fireworks because of their loud noises...
esn

Post by esn »

esn wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:41 pm
allesandro wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 pm I've always been hypersensitive to noise and smell and while I've heard that sensitivity to noise is not uncommon among dyspraxics I've never heard anyone mention sensitivity to odors. It's often very difficult for me to use public rest rooms, and I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.
I really do not like strong smells such as incense or anything like that it makes me feel sooo sick and anything that has a strong perfume smell that is musky. Might be a personal thing? But I am also terrified of balloons and fireworks because of their loud noises...

I also am very sensetive to loud noises like if the TV suddenly gets really loud I get very uncomfortable and I hate it and have to mute it for a while to calm myself down.