Tippy Toe Walking?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mayonaka
Getting settled in

Tippy Toe Walking?

Post by Mayonaka »

Hi, so all my life (16) I have been known for tippy toe walking and having "duck feet" when I walk. Now that I am more conscious of it I do it less, and it's really only when I'm barefoot where it's extremely prominent, but I still often get pointed out and its quite frustrating because I can't control it. I thought maybe it was a physical issue and went to a foot doctor who gave me a brace. At some point it really just felt pointless and that it wasn't actually doing anything. I stopped after I discovered dyspraxia. I read somewhere someone who was dyspraxia did this too, is it a coincidence or is this actually common for dyspraxics? It's not necessarily painful to walk normally, it just doesn't feel natural. It's only impossible to walk normal up and downstairs, unless that's everyone. If it is dyspraxia, it'd be a psychological thing so does that mean it's unfixable?
firemonkey
Power poster

Re: Tippy Toe Walking?

Post by firemonkey »

What does tippy toe walking mean?

Edit: I've just had a look on youtube. I think I'd lose my balance doing that.
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

I used to do it as a kid up until about the age of 12 when people started taking the **** out of me at school. After that, I tried to learn not to do it, but even today my gait/stance is not really 100%
Mayonaka
Getting settled in

Post by Mayonaka »

firemonkey wrote:What does tippy toe walking mean?

Edit: I've just had a look on youtube. I think I'd lose my balance doing that.
Haha sometimes I topple over but it doesn't stop me :lol:
Mayonaka
Getting settled in

Post by Mayonaka »

Jenny3142 wrote:I used to do it as a kid up until about the age of 12 when people started taking the **** out of me at school. After that, I tried to learn not to do it, but even today my gait/stance is not really 100%
Oh yeah I get constant commentary on it, YES I'm aware I look like an idiot YES I know it's bad for my posture, and if I could stop I 100% would. That's why I try but I don't want to obsess over it and be self conscious all the time so I kind of don't let it get to me and I stopped caring what they think, I still want to understand why I'm like this though #-o
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

I looked it up on youtube just to see why firemonkey thought he would lose his balance. Found a video of a woman who I think was doing it on purpose, but this isn´t really toe walking.
Whilst looking I did come across this video which might have some tips (I´m at work so couldn´t have sound on):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICFlueazDI

Some causes are listed here:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20378410
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

'Tippy Toe' walking became a form of overcompensation for being criticized for walking heavily and clumsily. I became very self conscious of it and at some point made a concerted effort to walk very softly.