Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)

Post by Tom fod »

This thread seeks to discuss Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), which has been mentioned by a few people here. I’m not in anyway medically qualified and I must admit I’m unclear on the relationship between Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and Dyspraxia and if they are two separate Neurological conditions? Needless to say I certainly find I sometimes have difficulties with sensory processing, though I have no wish or plan to pursue formal diagnosis of SPD myself.

If they are different, It’s logical to assume that the two can and do at least coexist. I also feel there’s a direct relationship between Dyspraxia, sensory processing difficulties and anxiety. There can of course be other contributing factors.

We all have varying thresholds for how much information or stimuli our minds can digest/handle at any given time and when these thresholds are exceeded at best we feel disorientated all the way up to a panic response.

I feel that, at least to some extent, it is possible for us to become better at coping, be that by recognising warning signs physically removing ourselves or taking time out from a place/situation and/or employing coping mechanisms/strategies (eg breathing excersises, mindfulness)

What do others think? Agree/disagree? Have experiences, thoughts or knowledge you want to share?

This thread may also be interesting
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... SPD#p26059

Checklist for SPD (geared towards children but found quite a few indicators were applicable to me - But Please Do Note the caveats.
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... klist.html

I've also found a checklist for adults. http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... klist.html
It's in US English and there are some quite odd questions/spellings (Yes, even to my mind 8-) Again Please Do Note the caveats.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
morgank82
Regular Poster

Re: Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)

Post by morgank82 »

Thanks Tom for this topic,
imagine your walking down a street and came across a group talking, but closer and closer u get seems intense or getting to a point where u pick up every conversation at once in your ears going in your head All of a sudden u start to loose thought of talking to the one your talking too and your head starts bobing around left from right all the time to catch that noise.

Gets extremely intense after 10 or 15 mins and triggers anxiety that leads into a attack. But u keep pushing your self ,to find out after u are extremely tired after words of that one interaction in that group or u just have it still imprinted in your mind.

Another is light. If one looks up at the sun with no blinking it will cuz a lot of discomfort; well some one with spd, is like that every single bright day with out looking up. Even winter it hurts looking at the snow,to a point u get a numbing headache or pressure.

With people that have asd for feel or touch , some extreme sensory touch to them it's like ants crawling back and up your arms, and arms start to sway or body.

You don't feel calm at peace in busy environments or loud noisy bright places.
In my opinion ,that's why people are butting heads ; some can't get or put a cap on social anxiety, cuz acute SPD triggers it everyday or close . in your own house even , open the blinds and bam pain ; in your mind it's a beautiful day but pain or too intense and start to get a headache.

Almost like a hangover for intensity most of the times, but instead if drousy your alert red alert from everything around u to the finest details at times from an object or even person.
At times it brings a sharp pain through out your nerves.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

What I do to ease situation's even though I'm ongoing social anxiety a lot as to others on here .is to meditate or practise taichi qigong perhaps. It will help your focusing intentions and calmness, so u can at least relax and not be intense 24 hours a day. Tea does help to, less coffee. And practise or test your self on lights on and off, feel or search calm instead of the light or hearing the light fixture frequency. Maybe it helps maybe it won't.

at times u force your self even go out of bed Cuz as soon as it starts your soaking in all and it's overload sensory .
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

People that has fibro some reacts to spd a lot, to a point of physical fatigue and even hospitalised cuz of reactions through out the body. So I can say it's probably a disorder in its own, and it possibly fits between or middle of the spectrum chart for dcd and asd plus fibro ,can soak in symptoms of spd
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi Tom,

Yeah I've always suffered from something similar, quite often when I'm in a room full of people all of a sudden it feels like my brain decides to start trying to take in everything at once like I'm hearing every conversation in one "lump".
If I concentrate I can usually filter it out but its very mentally tiring often I just have to walkout of the room.
I've never been sure if Its dyspraxia or something else, interesting to hear that others suffer the same issue thought it might just be a volume thing but I've been to concerts that were incredibly loud and it hasn't had the same effect so I can only conclude its the number of voices.