Not very dyspraxic talents

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom
New member - welcome them!

Re: Not very dyspraxic talents

Post by Tom »

I think one thing is certain with dyspraxia, we're a stubborn and tenacious lot. If someone tells me I can't do something, it makes me all the more determined to do it!

When I started out as a self-employed gardener I could only climb to the second step of a step ladder before feeling unsafe. Now, ten years later, I can balance on the top step whilst using a hedge cutter. I actually climbed to the top of a fairly big tree just before xmas. This was something I couldn't even do as a child. It was exhilarating and I was so proud of myself.

It might take us considerably longer than most to learn something but we will get there eventually!
HoidWasHere

Post by HoidWasHere »

first of all, all of you who said crochet are giving me hope that no all is lost for me, besides past struggles!
I taught myself to hand-sew over the pandemic. At first i was really worried I won't be able to because of the dyspraxia, but I persisted and found it actually is very fun for me and calms me down, even if it's a little messy. it gives me something to do with my hands so that my brain can be free to focus on podcasts! threading the needle is hell and i don't know how people do that, but I got a great threading eyelet and now i'm unstoppable.

besides sewing i draw too! I found out drawing digitally with my laptop keypad is much easier for me than traditionally- I used to ruin papers all the time because of pressing too hard with the pencil, I really can't control pressure that well.

Juggling with dyspraxia... now that would really be amazing. hat off.
AndreaAbraham

Post by AndreaAbraham »

Hi, a lot of people think it's impossible to live with dyspraxia, my uncle has been an artist for 15 years, he is incredibly diligent and very attentive to different little things, I am so proud of him and you guys, you are great and I wish a lot of health!!! :!:
DDIGITALDNR

Post by DDIGITALDNR »

I've been touch typing at speed since I was 9 years old, I've been drawing since my early teens, people often did not believe I could draw so well as my handwriting was infant like. I was told I would never ride a bike. I learnt to ride a bike at the age of 12 on a old Triang without help and had instant balance (I do struggle to ride up hills though)

I'm apparently good at photography and have work published by Getty. I've built my own computers for years (It's painful on my hands and tiring but I just got on with it)
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Massive props, snaps, and hats off to the creative and stubborn people in here - as above HOW DOES ONE OF US JUGGLE?!

I learned to do poi as a teen with many a head smack but it's satisfying and has procioceptive sensory benefits. Recently I'm learning to touch type, can ice skate holding a struggling child which is miraculous, and can thread a needle and cross stitch like nobody's business. HOWEVER! This was all really hard-won and I think we have to have a serious growth mindset to achieve any of this as it needs to translate into muscle memory before we can succeed and that's a longer and harder process for us.

Love hearing about what y'all can do, it makes me want to pick up a needle again!
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry
rco93

Post by rco93 »

So I used to be a competitive gymnast, and my best equipment was...the beam. No I don't understand that one either.
As an adult, I work as a project manager. Isn't poor organisation and time management supposed to be one of the main symptoms of dyspraxia? :grin:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

rco93 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:30 pm So I used to be a competitive gymnast, and my best equipment was...the beam. No I don't understand that one either.
As an adult, I work as a project manager. Isn't poor organisation and time management supposed to be one of the main symptoms of dyspraxia? :grin:
After 10 years I've learned there is very often no such thing as a typical dyspraxic who ticks all the boxes.Some of us gravitate towards and are quite often pop up in the most unlikely and theoretically difficult/impossible professions.

I'm going to be controversial and say I loathe and detest the word 'symptoms', I prefer traits. Dyspraxia can certainly feel like an affliction but to me symptoms is too reflective of illness and disease. In many ways the attitudes we encounter are the most disabling thing and we all have different experiencesand perceptions of how Dyspraxia affects us as individuals. .
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)