Medication experiences

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Simon
Getting settled in

Medication experiences

Post by Simon »

In this topic I would like to hear from you all about your experiences with medication.

I have only recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia and in the past was treated with medication for ADHD and depression, but never found it to be a succes.
I'm going to start seeing a therapist and he will probably prescribe something again so I'm really curious about anybody else's experience with meds so I can maybe suggest him something.

For my ADHD they gave me ritalin and it works for like 3hours and then I have a serious rebound effect where I become very aggressive and totally loose al self control.
I would smash things and even break the door handle/keys while opening a door because I had absolutely no control over the muscle strength applied.
I had to take another pill every 4hours and this caused me to go up and down all day long until had to stop before going to sleep.
This rollercoaster al day long was very exhausting and I was afraid of hurting someone close to me.
Then they gave me concerta wich has the same working ingredient as ritalin only in a 1pill a day form so even less control about ups and downs.

For my depression they gave Mirtazapine ( generic version of Remeron)
This worked fine for a while, made me fall asleep instantly (I had to go to the bathroom first and take the pill when already in bed)
The side effects where restless legs during the night, kicked my girlfriend pretty hard sometimes while asleep.
After a couple of months it didn't make me fall asleep at al anymore.
It only made it impossible to wake up and get out of bed in the morning so I quit this as well.

So do any of you have anything that doesn't cause side effects that are worse to deal with then being dyspraxic.
Currently I'm trying exercise but have to be careful for my joints and tenants.
Considering to try yoga, but as a man I feel somewhat ashamed as it is viewed as being feminine.
Time is something that may change me, but I can't change time so f*** it.
screengreen
Power poster

Re: Medication experiences

Post by screengreen »

Hi Simon, is your therapist NHS? If not can I suggest an occupational therapist using sensory integration, as it sounds like your body position ( proprioception) sense and your vestibular(head position AMD balance sense) aren't working properly. You could if you can`t afford to try things like sitting on a gym or peanut ball, using a rocking chair can also be calming as can swinging on a swing, ........ there are lots of great books on sensory integration or take a look at the sensory integration network website. Hope helps a bit.
Simon
Getting settled in

Post by Simon »

Hi screengreen,

My therapist is definitely not going to be NHS approved as I live in Belgium. :)

Dyspraxia isn't really recognized as an illness here, they call it ADHD with DCD and will treat me for ADHD and not for the DCD.

As for the proprioception and AMD you're spot on. (had to google this because English isn't my native language)
I have not been diagnosed for this but have had problems with my tenants in the past.
Both of my thumb tenants have been operated on because of chronic inflammation.

I recently bought a rowing machine so I can have some exercise at home
I chose a rowing machine because doesn't put stress on your joints while still having a full body workout.

My biggest problem is that I just want some peace of mind at the end of a workday, or when I have a meltdown.
I'm currently achieving this through smoking canabis, it slows down my thoughts enough to get them organized, and it also helps with the sensory overload.
I smoke 3 doses after work
The team that diagnosed me would like me to quit smoking and referred me to a therapist that's specialized in addiction and ADHD.
They told me he will be offering me some kind of medication again but haven't had any good experiences with medication as you can read in my previous post.
I know I can't keep on smoking for the rest of my life, always thought I would calm down with age but apparently I'm not.
I'm currently sober as I'm on a holiday, I don't get much sleep right now.(currently 03.30 at night and wide awake)

I will look into that sensory integration stuff and definitely mention it to the therapist.

Thanks for the reply

Simon
Time is something that may change me, but I can't change time so f*** it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Please note that as a forum we do not advocate or recommend the use of substances of which possession might constitute a criminal offence in some jurisdictions. Equally do bear in mind that the individuals who supply such substances may not be honest about what it is they are selling or necessarily know what such substances might contain.

There is a risk that you may experience unwanted damaging side effects to your physical/emotional/psychological health and wellbeing. Please take care.

This caveat is not for debate.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Simon Simon you hit me hard with your post , I mean I am dyspraxic and I indeed have simular situations. I can't sleep or have minimal sleep, I have depression and anxiety and sensory slp which is sensory issues. They gave me pills for my depression and so far I went through 2 types cuz one that u mentioned had bad side effects on me. And this new one is vendalaxine I'm now on 185 mg a day that I take; it's not working and they just want to keep moving up the mg on me. I don't like taking pills at all and same with u I don't drink but smoking pot is the only cure that gets me out and do stuff and be motivated and arange my mind on ease more then anything else. I smoke when I go to bed and get up. It helps me a lot a lot even people say that it's a miracle when I'm on cannibis.
So I feel you

I wrote a topic on dyspraxia vs anti depressents rollercoaster a while back on this forum .
It sucks also cuz just like what u said , here in Canada bc is so isolated also no one knows dyspraxia exist.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Hi both,
I fee for you, I often struggle with sleep but am much better if I have done exercise in the day, proprioception ( body position sense and hard work) are likely to help, as ifs an old fashioned heavy blanket ( not weighted..although this could be tried up to around 5%of body weight)..... my dd has pinched mine so she sleeps well but I don't, I have used herbal remedies in the past (valarian) but found that extended use made m depressed..... if you are involved with medical professionals you may suggest slow release melatonin (a stronger dose of what you get in milk) makes you sleepy but unlike other sleeping tablets is based on body`s natural hormones...... don`t know if it will help you but I have recently found the adult colouring helpful but can see for some if your fine motor skills are not working well would just add to the frustration
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

I'm going to try to see a cbt, the centre I'm going to does not seem to be any help in my opinions bit I certainly go by there's.don't get me wrong ,there trying to do the best they can do, and are nice people ,but don't have the field to go into dyspraxia conditions or symptoms, they figure I'm just sevre depress and anxiety ; which I keep trying to tell my phycologist is more then that much more to a point were depression meets dyspraxia and then they go hand to hand stireing up behavior traits or other symptoms .

One of them don't believe dyspraxia can relate to suicidal thoughts or the disorder won't trigger good thoughts into a suicidal thought in a quick flash , I bit my tongue on that one . And then she told me" I don't know much about dyspraxia" . So I'm doing cocktails on pills now she wants me to wean me off one and then slowly start the other same time plus take on for anxiety and one ,or for sleep . Lol what can I do I guess hey I'm trying not to laugh at this , by the time I'm 50 ,my liver is gonna be like mushy soup lol if I go on further with this so called treatment of there's.
So Tom I am going to try to set a meeting up with a Cbt that I just wrote her an email .