Forgetting stuff

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ditsy

Forgetting stuff

Post by Ditsy »

Today is one of those days when I have had mind blanks this is the most frustrating thing not sure if it is the dyspraxia or dyslexia or that I have the attention span of a bug,
I left my purse all the way in the car so had to leave groceries at the checkout go all the way back into the car back in with the sympathetic looks of those in the queue, last week same thing but I forgot the actual money.
Lost my stamps on the way to the post office and then completely forgot my password to get into this forum, no way in hang I would remember it and then I lost 15 dollars, it's days like these I feel really thick!.
At least I have not dropped my parking money under other people's cars for a couple of weeks :banana: :banana:
I have been rescued twice by sympathetic bystanders.
Guess you have to laugh not much else to do
Nyx
Getting settled in

Re: Forgetting stuff

Post by Nyx »

There has been many times when I have gone out and forgotten my money or keys. Which doesn't help when people are giving me the "WTF is wrong with you" look because I started looking for it in the queue. But now before I leave anywhere I go over all the things I need to take before I leave but I don't always remember though ](*,)
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Ditto
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

The number of times I've left my wallet on the counter in shops lately is ridiculous, I think its some kind of mental block thing I only do it when paying by card ](*,) .
ScarlettDarKrYDER
New member - welcome them!

Post by ScarlettDarKrYDER »

I know how forgetting stuff feels I couldn't find my glasses the other week and turns out they were in my room all the time behind stuff lol and I got a new pair from the opticians but luckily I needed a new prescription anyway and I also forget to take my vitamins even though I'm meant to take them and can understand how you feel dumb I feel like that a lot when I forget the simplest stuff. Forgot to turn off the gas on the cooker the one time and got yelled at by my mum ...
nataliemlw

Post by nataliemlw »

I'm the same with forgetting things.

Even where there are things I can set reminders on my phone for, if I don't do them instantly after the reminder has come up I still manage to forget! I rely so much on writing things down too. Although I know things like leaving purses in places that's not possible for, probably why I'm always checking I've got everything in my bag when I'm out :P
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Post by Tomtom »

I can completely empathise.

I must have locked myself out of my flat well over a dozen times in my two years of university so far. I'll leave and completely forget my keys until it's too late! I also have to set reminders on my phone for anything of even moderate importance (such as reminding myself to buy milk for my breakfast the next morning before the shops close)...
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

I had not been back to this site for a while and it has really warmed my heart to see how many others do the same things.
I was really annoyed with myself when I first posted as it was one of those days.
I have lately developed a few strategies to help which are working.
I do have a support person I meet with a couple of hours a week who has helped me with using memory aids which has helped a lot.especially when I have accidentally booked two or three appointments same day at the same time eek.
One of the best things I have changed in my life was the purchase of a bright yellow car which you can see from miles away ,so for the first time ever I no longer lose my car in the car park.
I wanted to know if anyone else has misplaced their car and been convinced it was stolen :banana:
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

There was once a time not so long ago when I went into town and left my debit card at home (I'd used it the previous evening to pay for something online and had forgotten to return it to my wallet). Luckily, because I still had some money left over from a previous visit to the bank, I was fortunately able to pay for my shopping with that.

Another time, I was going for a day out with some friends and got to the bus stop up the road from my house and then realised I had left my young persons Railcard at home (the day out involved a train journey), so I had to hurriedly run back home to get it, meaning that I actually missed the bus and had to get a taxi in (as the bus stop is about six minutes walk from my house)
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Sometimes I forget stuff like whether I've used shampoo in the shower, I actually have to search for evidence like 'does my hair feel cleaner', feels like someone's wiped your brain ](*,)
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

^ Oh yeah, sometimes in the bath I become unsure as to whether I've actually just washed my hair or not. :P

I decide to look for something, start walking down the stairs towards a room, by now have forgotten what it was and even end up in the wrong room, before finally remembering it was in fact something from the next room along.

My memory is dreadful! So many short term lapses.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
PiotrekPuczek

Post by PiotrekPuczek »

I do that **** every f**!*ng day