Getting flustered doing daily tasks

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

MummyJ
New member - welcome them!

Getting flustered doing daily tasks

Post by MummyJ »

Do you find yourself getting flustered and struggling to do stuff quickly? Stuff that you do on a regular basis so it's not like it's new. I always get that way when I'm doing stuff like getting food shopping. At Aldi, they scan it so quickly that I feel like I'm struggling to get it in the trolley fast enough and end up feeling really clumsy and flustered. It's a small thing of course but it does just make me feel a bit foolish. I'm always more like that if I feel people are observing me.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Getting flustered doing daily tasks

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

I definitely find I can be the same. I'm just as, in fact probably more, impatient with myself, than most people behind me.

I try to put the heavier stuff on the conveyor first and have my bag open ready so that these items go into the bottom of my bag first and don't crush the more delicate items. Aldi (and Lidl) have less loading space at the 'paying/paid for' end of their checkouts so you have to move it out of the way quicker into your bag/trolley.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I hate shopping for similar reasons, especially since the crowding and over sensory issues pile it on.

However, I gather that some supermarkets actively pressure people to pay their bags as soon as possible.

I could (and yet might) write a whole essay on supermarkets and public places and how they make me feel terrible.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
MummyJ

Post by MummyJ »

It's very frustrating at times, isn't it!
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

Yes I know the feeling well! Sometimes I'm ok but I find it so hard to get all my jobs done and I'm exhausted. If I'm doing one thing i. The morning like shopping I find it hard to go it again in the afternoon. I'm not sure why.

I find it hard to get things done in the right order. I've always been better at work because systems are set up for you but at home I sometimes get muddled trying to do housework etc and end up panicking. I never understood why until I found out about dyspraxia! It's good to know it's not just me :)

It is frustrating though - and I'm always losing things!
janetp
Getting settled in

Post by janetp »

Hi, I do have trouble getting the shopping in the bag, I fumble around, my coordination seems to go to pieces at the checkout and I get nervous and self conscious before I even get there. I have been making myself go out the self checkouts to become more proficient at it but of course between finding the right thing to press for the item and all the rest its never simple. I do get a thrill though from my version of mastering the darn thing. Amazing how such a small thing can make me feel very worldly despite the muddle I get in.
sasha2014

Post by sasha2014 »

Hi there
yes i was diagnoses in 2003
i struggle doing the house work
and to keep on top of it i do have pets they keep me going
but i guess the only thing is try and do your best :)
pappleyard

Post by pappleyard »

I struggle at Aldis as well. They presure you to put things in the bag as fast as possible. Saying that though at all other supermarkets people start tutting etc if your not lighting quick as well.

With day to day activities I really like using the daily to do list app. I use it each and every day. I use GTasks. I have used the standard iPhone one as well I lot though and that was very good. I just list all the things I need to do and set them to repeat as other as is needed. Even very basic things go on there.