What is 2nd percentile?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ellie
New member - welcome them!

What is 2nd percentile?

Post by Ellie »

I have recently had an occupational therapy assessment and I scored 2nd percentile. I know that I am below the 5th percentile and that means that I am dyspraxic but I was wondering how servere this means I am. I have always considered myself to be moderatly-severly dyspraxic and I think that that's what this means. If you could let me know any more about it I would be very gratful. Thanks!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: What is 2nd percentile?

Post by Tom fod »

Ellie

Welcome to our community

Percentile is a statistical term.
http://statistics.about.com/od/Descript ... entile.htm

It's ironic, stuff like this confuses me (and probably a lot of other people who are not mathematicians or statisticians). I feel I ought to try and understand it whilst another part of me says is it worth knowing the complete ins and outs and understand it to the nth degree. Strangely I feel bad because I don't know when part of me says to myself 'you should know'.

Society and especially the medical profession need and want to categorise people.

This may be completely wrong (so if anyone can correct me please do)
I think 5th percentile means you fall into the 5% of the population (or those who have taken the tests you did) and are considered to have dyspraxia/be dyspraxic. I think your assessment that 2nd percentile means moderately severe is as good as any (2 out of the 5).

It's not very easy to quantify because I'm not aware of what the parameters are and with statistics you can get things to mean different things. It is not clear what or who you are being measured against and comparing people against each other is not necessarily fair. I want to urge you not to beat yourself up about this and try not to feel defined by what you scored in one test on one day.

If you're still awake and moderately sane after reading the above, well done. I hope you find the contents of these forums more useful and a comfort that you are not alone.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

2% of people are below you.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

It is confusing! When I went to be diagnosed, my result papers had about the percentiles for each bit and I couldn't get my head around it and still wouldn't really.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Sue

Post by Sue »

Hi, I am a school SENCO and the explanation of percentiles we have from educational psychologists is...''The percentile is the number of children, out of a group of 100 children of the same age we would expect to do less well than xxxxxx. In other words, only 2% of people out of 100 would score the same result or less. I hope that helps?
ciwstudy

Post by ciwstudy »

Percentile Formula Calculation [Click Here for Sample Questions]
Suppose we have to find the percentile of any given number say 'm' that lies between (0-100). Then from the above definition of percentile, it is understood that the mth percentile is a value that will divide this data set into two parts.The first part is known as the lowest part which contains mth percent of the data and the remaining is the upper part. Here, r is a dataset that contains all the values.

Now let us calculate the mth percentile by following these steps :

Step 1: Firstly, we have to arrange the given data set 'r' in ascending order

Step 2: Now count the number of values in the data set and represent it as 'n', (n is always greater than 0)

Step 3: Calculate the value of m/100 (which will always be positive and greater than 0)

Step 4: Multiplying m percent by n

Step 5: By doing step 4 if your answer is not a whole number then go to step 6. Otherwise, go to step 7

Step 6: If it is not a whole number then rounding the number [url removed] comes 0.9 then rounding off we'll get 1, so it will be 1. Now go to step 8

Step 7: It is a whole number so, Count the values in the data set starting from left till you reach that number. Now calculate the mean for the corresponding number and the next number. After calculation, the value obtained is the mth percentile.

Step 8: Count the values in the data set starting from left till you reach that number. This obtained value will be the mth percentile of the 'r' data set.
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Url removed as suspicious