Dyspraxic and...?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

just dyspraxia for me - well as far as i know anyway.
Nicky
Getting settled in

Post by Nicky »

Dyspraxia, depression and apparently dysexia, but I'm not sure that's accurate, as my only dyslexic traits overlap with dyspraxia and I started reading at 18 months!
Trust those searching for the truth, never those who have found it.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Dyspraxia mainly with some ADHD thrown in here :)
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

eoakley
Regular Poster

Post by eoakley »

I have Dyspraxia, Dyslexia and ADHD
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Dyspraxia is my only neurological condition (that I know of)

I am also red-green colourblind and have hayfever that makes my eyes itch something awful from Febuary to September unless I stock up regularly on antihistamines.

The later is simply an allergy - so rooted in the immune system response - and one of the most benign.

The protanopia (red-green deficiancy) is a genetic quirk on my X chromosome. Fiancée's dad is blue-green colourblind so I'm anticipating eventual sproglets will have some sort of genetic follow through as there is a high probabilty that finacee is a carrier of the gene. :playball:

Where of neurological conditions come from? We could be here all night.

I may have got it in the womb (I was declared dead inutero - turned out I was just too comfortable to move ;)) and I had mumps with meningitis complications when I was three. Mmm brain swelling unpleasantness.

But I came through it okay. Did I acquire my dyspraxia then or before perhaps I've always had it I'll never know. It is a matter of curiosity only it doesn't make much practical difference to me.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

When my mom was pregnant with me, i stopped growing for a month, and was born exactly a month late. I almost died when I was born cause the cord was round my neck 3 times n i had to be revived 3 times. In my opinion I was dyspraxic in the womb....not sure if it was before or after I stopped growing....but I think dyspraxia combined with ADHD caused me to jump around so much in the womb that the cord got round my neck and contributed to how ill I was. So in my humble opinion, I dont really think my probs made me acquire dyspraxia, I think they caused the probs :-k :)

Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Interesting you say you stopped growing. I was declared dead after I didn't move, they couldn't find a heartbeat and mum started to loose weight - all bad signs. But then I made my presence known again and out I eventually popped none the worse and full of fizz: the veritable embodiment of Mark Twain's famous overstatement.

I say it's interesting because as I understand it, dyspraxia is considered, amongst other definitions, an immaturity of neurological development. hence coordination, writing, speech verbalisations and movement etc are all considered immature for the age of the developing child.

It may be coincidence but I say again interesting that we share a similar tales of hectic births. :-k
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I stopped growing and my mom was sent for a scan to try and figure out why. But I'm 28 and back then scans were expensive, so they told my mom that as I was still moving, it wasn't important enough for the expense, and sent her home. Would have been interesting to see if they had found anything had they done it. When I was born i had (and still have) stomach probs cause it hadn't grown properly. When I looked it up on the net, I think that area develops around the time I stopped growing, so it's like a signal was never sent to restart its growth....yuck that sounds horrible! :S

Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I was in a hurry to be born and came into the world 3 months early at 2.2 pounds...
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
monkey
Getting settled in

Post by monkey »

i was only 5 weeks premature. but i was sevely jandus after i was bron. i was alemot given a full blood transfusion.
Miss Jayney
Getting settled in

Post by Miss Jayney »

I was a month late - and a rather large 9lbs 2oz with a full head of hair - i nearly died had gunk on my lungs and was all squished and bruised (had to be a forceps birth in the end)
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

There were complications when I was born too. I think my Mum had high-blood pressure and I was kept in a special care baby unit (as they're call now altho not in the late 70s) for quite a while I believe.

Dan.
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

It's fascinating to hear so far that quite a few of us where at some point affected by a difficult by a complication during pregnancy or birth. :-s
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

on the subject of colourblindness, since it's been mentioned by some other people and it's my only other major malfunction (;)) - I posted a journal about being colourblind tonight after I found a website that can simulate what being colourblind is like.

I'd be really pleased if anyone wants to take a look.
http://clive-ostrich.livejournal.com/155931.html

Now if only there was a website to simulate what being dyspraxic was like, eh? ;)
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

Dyspraxia and mild OCD, Central Auditory Processing disorder (undiagnosed, but it's obvious), PCOS (probably unconnected)