Dyspraxic and...?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Luthium, I find that page wierd, I know some people are can be colour blind to one or two colours.

but I thought the term colour blind meant that you couldn't see any colour apart from white, black, and all different shades of grey.

not to see like the illistration of the lemon being green instead of yellow etc.
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Hi Shadwell,

Well frankly that's a common mistake - and believe me your not the first to make it - let me put you at ease about that. :)

Just to confuse matters, however, that are people who truly colour blind and who *do* see only in monochrome but such conditions are extremely rare as so much has to be wrong with the eyes for colour to be missing from all three spectrums of light.

I say three, because light, you may or may not know is comprised of three primary colours red, blue and green (not yellow as they teach you when mixing paint in school. Light it turns out is special.)

I am a dichromatic protanope to give my condition it's full title, meaning I have only two of the three spectrums in full operation and am missing the third red element from my vision.

It is genetic conditon carried on the x chromosone and is thereby much more likely to occur in males but be transmitted between generations by females (who would need both parents to be colour blind in order to be colour blind themselves, men need just the one faulty gene.)

This so-called red/green colour blindness is much more common, as is blue/green.

However, what it means is that the image composed between the eye and the brain is created using only two (in the case of dichromatics like myself) of the primary colours.

The image perceived, therefore should still be *in colour* but with only a restricted range of possible colours from the remaining primary colours; the colours created in the mind are much more similar and hence more liable to be confused by someone with a 'colourblindess' - which as you have realised is not a literal blindess to colour but a confusing of colours such that the colour differentiation between oranges, lemons and limes is only less distinct not absent.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

No, I've always known colour-blindness to be the inability to distinguish certain colours from a palette. I don't know how many professions it might prevent affect someone from talking up, but I believe an airline pilot is one - you need to be able to tell landing gear down (green) from landing gear up (red) I suppose and it is something you see ever so occasionally on job ads and wonder why on earth it's a requirement, but still.
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

There are some professions where defective colour vision would be a hinderance but I'm not sure you'd be forbidden (under new discrimination laws) unless it was a key competency. Happily none of the careers I am considering will it be such a major issue that I cannot find ways to work around the difficulties I have distinguishing various colours.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

That's good to know. I'm all in favour of everyone being given a fair crack of the whip with jobs as far as absolutely possible.

As regards monochrome vision I believe there was someone at the school I went to who had tunnel vision and saw only in monochrome. As you say, it's quite uncommon as far as I'm aware, although typical colour-blindness is rather common.
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I'd not say common - the majority of vision is still normal - but red and blue green colourblindness is found in a percentage of the population and therefore is more numerous - even if the overall percentage and total numbers for the total population are relatively small.
Pica Pica
New member - welcome them!

Post by Pica Pica »

Funny reading about troublesome births, I was 10 weeks early and 1lb14oz...chances of survival none.

However I think I got away with just dyspraxia, however I had a horrible time recently when I wanted to change sex and I reckon the two are linked...that's sort of why I'm here.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

:-k I'm dyspraxic, epileptic, and suffer with dyscalculia (numerical dyslexia) :-k
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

And im bipolar and asthmatic. ](*,)
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I was born about a month early. 8-[

Anyway, I've so far been diagnosed with Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Asthma and it has been suggest that I be tested for AS. :-k
becky1986
Getting settled in

Post by becky1986 »

i have dislexia and dispraxia im asmatic and have hayfever which really didnt help when i got asked to read in class with trouble reading and ichy eyes i had no hope
daventhalas1
Getting settled in

Post by daventhalas1 »

I have dyspraxia and schizoaffective disorder.
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

Dyspraxic, asthmatic, gay and Jewish - oh wait, they're not all disabilities - but it means that any employer gets to tick a heck of a lot of equal ops boxes when they take me on! :)
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

Lady Fluff wrote:Dyspraxic, asthmatic, gay and Jewish - oh wait, they're not all disabilities - but it means that any employer gets to tick a heck of a lot of equal ops boxes when they take me on! :)
hehe! Me too, just change the gay for trans and you have me. So dyspraxic, dyslexic, asthmatic, trans, jewish possible AS. :-s Lots of fun with me \:D/
square peg
Getting settled in

Re: Dyspraxic and...?

Post by square peg »

I'm asthmatic with eczema, and have a couple of phobias. I'm prone to anxiety but don't know how much of that's just a result of the dyspraxic and attentional difficulties.

Very interesting connection with birth problems. I was born small, but not dangerously small, and was a bit jaundiced but didn't need treatment. But as a baby and young child I always put on weight too slowly.