writing about living with dyspraxia for general audience

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

screengreen
Power poster

writing about living with dyspraxia for general audience

Post by screengreen »

Hi all,
I am mulling over the idea of writing a novel with a central character who is dyspraxic with the aim of showing both positive and negative sides of living with dyspraxia, what do people think about this idea? and if I did does anyone fancy co-authoring it /proof reading. I was think a diary format may work quite well let me know what you all think... writing a novel has always been my work escape plan but am thinking about making it a reality but may have to look at different topics though.
nickye
Power poster

Re: writing about living with dyspraxia for general audience

Post by nickye »

Hi screengreen
That sounds really interesting. I love writing myself and have been writing a few notes about my experiences but nothing amounting to a book. I may well be interested in this. Have you written anything before? I often find it really helps to write things down.
Good luck with this I'd be interested to know more about it.
Take care
Nicky
GenuineAndJosh
Getting settled in

Post by GenuineAndJosh »

Hey Screengreen

I absolutely agree with Nicky, your idea of writing a novel with one of the main characters being dyspraxic sounds very interesting and absolutely perfect. It'll definately make a change in people's lives who are also dyspraxic but too other other people as well to help them understand it better. Despite I've never done this sort of thing before myself, if you ever need advice to help you along the way or want someone to proof reading, I'd be very interested. I would like to wish you all the very best of luck with it and I'm positive you'll nail it!

Josh
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

I have written quite a bit of poetry, tones of essays and clinical notes and did a story telling course a few years back but never written anything equating to a Novel.... but all novelists had to start somewhere .... now I've posted here and got some replies I'll have to make a start.
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

That doesn't sound like a bad idea - it could turn out to be a worthwhile project.
Mopps
Getting settled in

Post by Mopps »

I think it is a great idea you want to write a novel though that be very difficult I would think. Have you someone who can help you perhaps? I like to write poetry to help people going through difficult times. I go to a learning center twice a wk and they were vety helpfull indeed with me working on my little booklets and checked them over for me before I had them printed out. Do You have a writer or teacher friend who could proof read for you perhaps I am Dyslexic Dyspraxic and also have Dyscalcula I went to school in the 1960,s when such conditions were not heard of then and children sadly were thought stupid or thick because they struggled so much and the teachers did not understand they had learning problems. How about basing your story around someone from that erra and how they had to cope with these difficulties and their struggles they had but you could give the story a happy ending if You wish to do so. I do find writing poetry easier than stories but managed to write a little bit about myself I called it The Jig Saw.
I do n't mean to take over your novel and hope you don't mind I sent some small suggestions but it is up to your self really it is uour novel in the end. All the best with it and I do hope you will manage to find a publisher for your book and it sells well.

Mops.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Thanks for the reply, your suggestions are good I had got stuck before I started but you have given me a place to start my research as I don't want it to be too autobiographical thanks again
BeatrixPlotter
Getting settled in

Post by BeatrixPlotter »

That sounds really interesting! I'd love to help out with it if you need anyone to, just let me know. I do a bit of writing around the web and for myself (nothing professional though, sadly).
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

Hi screengreen

Just wondered if you are still writing novel about dyspraxia? I know there were some discussions about it last year. It sounds a great idea and did you need anyone to help with it?

Nicky
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Its on my wish list of tthings to do but on hold at the mo as am doing master's module on dyspraxia until June.
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

That sounds interesting - a Masters on dyspraxia! Where are you studying for this, and is it to do with education? Just wondered as it sounds interesting.

Yes it's hard to find time for writing sometimes isn't it? Hope the course is going well.

Nicky
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Hi Nicky,
Its actually learning how to use the sensory integration and praxis tests its made me spot more dyspraxia kids out there. So has made me think I might just write my biography just so more people are aware of dyspraxia, almost made me cry when I heard about a child being put down sets fir bad handwriting! So wrong especially as I know how bright the kid us!