Dyspraxia (?) and Speaking

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

mustardseed
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia (?) and Speaking

Post by mustardseed »

Hi All
Over the last couple of days, I've realised that I have dyspraxic tendencies which has come as a bit of a shock, but a relief too as it explains so many things. I have one sister who has dyslexia and another who has severe dyscalculia, so it's not out of the question for me to have dyspraxia. After speaking to my parents they share the same symptoms as I. I am going to find out about having a formal diagnosis next week.
I have noticed the following:
*I have confusion over left/right
*Impossible to follow physical sequences eg aerobics, dance (although I have great rhythm when I freestyle!)
*I startle very easily throughout the delay to the amusement of others, but not to me. I scream and jump a lot. My most embarrassing moment of this happening was when I was waiting in reception for my name to be called and when it did, I screamed very loudly. Even if I can see something about to happen, I still startle.
*I spill drink when I go to put the cup to my mouth (I tip too early)
*I bump into things
*I can't read a map unless I orient it
*I can't follow/remember a verbal set of instructions
*I don't get jokes and pretend to laugh if I'm not feeling brave enough to say, "I don't get it".
*I can take things literally and can be gullible as I am so open minded.
*I head butt people when they go to kiss me on the cheek
*I find new situations and places (especially cities) overwheming as there can be too much to take in: people, signs, smells, lights, noise, traffic etc. It's like an assault on the senses. It can be exhausting!

I would like to know if any other people with dyspraxia have problems with conveying themselves and communicating clearly.
*Telling jokes (they are too long to remember, even short ones!)
*Relaying a plot/storyline. I tend to give up as I struggle to put what I know into words and end up confusing the other person.
*When I'm in a group setting and I'm asked to speak without being given enough time to think about what I want to say I get very anxious and struggle to verbalise my thoughts. I'm fine when I'm talking on my own terms.
*Verbalising emotions is very challenging - sometimes I wish I could put my feelings in a bottle and ask the other person to drink it so they would know.
*Public speaking anxiety because of the inability to verbalise clearly want I want to say.

It seems the bit that does the verbal processing in my brain isn't doing what I want it to do! If anyone could suggest any further reading, I would appreciate it.

Looking forward to your comments :) I've enjoyed reading your threads and I'm gateful that this forum exists!
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Dyspraxia (?) and Speaking

Post by Tim G »

I have had a lot of issues in the past with speaking and communicating. One of the main problems is not being able to really think before I talk so I end up saying the wrong thing in situations, not talking clearly and consistency as I haven't they time to think about it, offending people by what I say or more should not say.

I don't really tell that many jokes as its hard to remember and say what I need to.

I also find it pressuring when taking in a group its like you have to get it right, there are a lot more people then if its just you on your own or with another person.

It has been said to me that I struggle with verbalizing and conveying emotions, it seams to take a lot of mental effort to convey how your feeling in a way that can be understood - often this mental effort is just too much.

Quite a fue things on your list I have the same issues with such as the remembering of instructions - a lot of the time i am accused of not listening or hearing the other person. - I can hear ok and am listening its just the remembering and those who arnt dyspraxic don't understand this

I too take things very litterley as well and often people arnt expecting this and it can be a real annoyance as i tend to really focus on what has been said raver then let it go but its hard to as if it dosent make sence i need to understand it.

Books you could check out are Caged in Chaos by Victoria Briggs and living with dyspraxicia by Mary Colley
The real Mr Potato Head
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

In the past, I have had some issues with speaking. Although my problems do not centre around the actual speech (my language skills, both written and spoken, are excellent), historically I have had problems with tact and saying things far too early (when I was a child, I inadvertently managed to offend the father of one of my friends at the time because of this), however nowadays I am much better at controlling it.
Last edited by Willr0490 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I had speech therapy when I was in school so that helped (in some ways 8-[ )
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it