Physical/mental disraxic traits

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Auron
Power poster

Physical/mental disraxic traits

Post by Auron »

Is is possible to be sort of only slightly physically dispraxic, but very heavily mentally dispraxic.
I mean I took me eons to learn to walk, eaons to learn cycle, I was always clumsey, but actually, if I'm honest was I that bad?
I don't know if me not being too bad with stuff like that is a result of me not having dispraxia or unbeknownst to myself overcoming it by having an active childhood. It took me acres of time to learn to cycle, but I bloody well did learn because that's what you did; I climbed trees, played sports, and didnt stop until I no longer noticed a dip in my performance against the other childrens'.

On the other hand mentally, I can take anyone who has dyspraxia and get them to write what the inside of their head is and it will be word for word perfect.

mannerisms which suggest I'm dispraxic.

cannot remember names
cannot remember dates
spell check and edit most posts 3-5 times and still find mistakes
illegible handwriting
when my mind wanders for even a second off of the task I'm doing I instantly **** everything up
everything is multiplied by 2 in severity when tired
cannot balance in a new pose (have to spend hours learning it)
had to learn everything when young walking was late, cycling, talking
often take language literally when it wasn't intended
instructions given to me and 100 other people will be interpreted wrongly by be and correctly by 100
almost break the keyboard when typing.

minniemoo
Power poster

Re: Physical/mental disraxic traits

Post by minniemoo »

Yes, I would definitely say so. Some things you found harder than others but kept pushing for it, because "that's what you did" and now you understand that it was because you were dyspraxic that you found it so difficult to achieve the same/as quickly as others. There is no one list for dyspraxia - we all have certain common traits to a stronger/lesser degree. I find it easier to write than some, but find it harder to walk downstairs than others. So as far as being dyspraxic goes, you sound pretty normal to me :D

Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

my "favourite" trait as it were is walking down the stairs.
I find it amazing how many close calls I've had where I'd be walking down the stairs and a phone would ring, or I'd think of something I had to do, and then proceed to almost kill myself by forgetting about this stairs business.

I can't trust my legs to do it themselves, I need think about doing it as I'm doing it or else I'll fall and die.(probably)

the new house I'm living has these narrow steep stairs up to the hallway that I;ve not gotten used to yet.
I'm OK going up, but when I'm going down I keep burning my heels because the steps are narrower then I'm ever used to.

LilBee
Getting settled in

Post by LilBee »

Dyspraxia expresses itself differently in each individual.A lot of people that suffer from dyspraxia have cross-overs with other linked conditions (adhd,aspergers,dyslexia) which explains the mixture of problems.It sounds like you have dyspraxia\dyslexic and have issues mainly relating to your processing and memory deficits.It's worthwhile getting diagnosed if your still in education as support can be provided and for peace of mind.

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi Auron,

I do have a diagnosis of dyspraxia (among other things) and pretty much everything you have written could have been me, so in my totally unprofessional opinion their is definitely some dyspraxia/dyslexia there.
Auron wrote:I can't trust my legs to do it themselves,
So totally understand this people tend to get really confused when I’m carrying something heavy or do something tricky with my feet I only fall over when I look up from my feet :) .

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi Auron,

I do have a diagnosis of dyspraxia (among other things) and pretty much everything you have written could have been me,so in my totally unprofessional opinion their is definitely some dyspraxia/dyslexia there.
Auron wrote:I can't trust my legs to do it themselves,
So totally understand this people tend to get really confused when I’m carrying something heavy or do something tricky with my feet I only fall over when I look up from my feet :) .

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

ooop sorry posted twice !! :blush:

minniemoo
Power poster

Post by minniemoo »

Auron!

I completely agree - walking down the stairs is one of the hardest things ever! and yet all these other people manage to do it like it's something completely normal, easy and every day :D I hate it and it seems to get worse as I get older, more tired and overworked!!! (yep, I too can hear the violins :D) So glad it's not just me though! :)

Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Back to the first point about weather you can be more mental raver then phisicly dyspraxic - this is true you can be as dyspraxicia affects thoes with it in diffrent ways - no two dyspraxic people have the same dyspraxic trates.

I am verry much affected mentaly in terms of memory, thinking (or lack off), awareness, sochal difculities, organastion etc and I have have been majorly affected by axianty and depreshion - this is linked to dyspraxicia.
However I am not massivly affected phisicialy however I can't say that its not a problem as it can be as i have dyspraxicia.

There is a school of thought which says that DCD (devlopmental coradation disorder) and dyspraxicia should be seprate as they can in part be seprate but closley related things DCD relating to movememt and dyspraxicia relating to the mental / nurologicial aspects.
I don't know much about this sepration about this but it does seam to make sence in some cases.
The real Mr Potato Head