memory getting worse, or just needing it more?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Auron
Power poster

memory getting worse, or just needing it more?

Post by Auron »

right here's one for you.

Does or did anyone reckon that their memory for things like dates, facts, times, names, leaving cookers on and trying to remember words have worse over time with a condition like dispraxia or is this unrelated?

for example when I was young I remember knowing when each of the TV shows were on which day when I'd get home from school, I would remember peoples' names and I would remember the general activities I did say, for the past few days and not need external stimulus to help remember them.

I'm convinced my memory is getting worse. either that or it's just the things I need to remember are more important and there is a bigger sense of dread in forgetting them. i.e., no one cares of you miss a tv show, but when you forget about a meeting for work, it's big trouble, then you get depressed and think "what the hell is wrong with me?!"

also when you;re younger people (parents, teachers etc.) have a habit of reminded you about things (i.e., providing the stimulus then you think "oh yes!").
anwjon
New member - welcome them!

Re: memory getting worse, or just needing it more?

Post by anwjon »

Yes my memory was poor as a child but improved over time but now I've finished cancer treatment I get mentally exhausted and leave the front door unlocked, left taps on,forgotten my appt s for checkups etc and get a headache in work trying to concentrate however luckily as I have my work written down and tick them off as I go along not forgotten anything important that is I'm not aware that I have ha ha
minniemoo
Power poster

Post by minniemoo »

kids remember more stuff. doesn't matter if you are dyspraxic or not, from puberty you are doomed! :D

the weird thing is though you probably remember odd things from when you were a kid that you wouldn't find you could remember now - songs, lines from plays stuff like that.

the old enemies of tiredness, stress and unhappiness can affect all of our mental abilities and more so I think if you are dyspraxic. if you are a woman, the hormones from childbirth can also affect memory. from what I can work out we tend to remember stranger things than most people, or at least we remember different things about an event/thing from other people. I remember the colours of books, but rarely their names. I remember what you do/make with vegetables/other food, but not usually the names, so say crazy things like 'the long green tomato', which as we all know is a cucumber! :D I remember things people say or the names of things but not precisely enough for others - I can't quote anyone word for word, but can remember what they said but have to express it in a different way. This is getting worse as I get older (I'm only in my early thirties!!!), but not directly because of the dyspraxia. Everyone loses memory and mental ability. All of us here have alternative forms of memory and mental abilities and so as ours deteriorate we will find we get more alternative.... :banana:
minniemoo
Power poster

Post by minniemoo »

sorry brain not working properly today...meant to also say about future things. I FORGET EVERYTHING!!!

The only way I can get round this is to religiously write everything I need to do and everywhere that I need to be down. I don't have a to-do list, I have a book - seriously! I also carry my work diary with me everyday (workdays) and stick big post-it notes up in my study.

I don't think it is so much the stress of not wanting to forget work things more than play things. I think it is that it is logical to want to remember play things and not really want to remember mundane boring things like meetings! even though we have to.

try not to get too depressed about it auron - there are ways round it and though not perfect they do work most of the time. and it happens to us all - dyspraxic or not :)
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

I'm sure my memory and brain are getting worse, but sometimes i don't know whether it's just because I'm more aware that I have dyspraxia and/or the fact I haven't really done much to stimulate my brain since school (that's quite a few years now!). Argh, the power of the mind. XD
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D