aaaa

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dannymp93
New member - welcome them!

aaaa

Post by Dannymp93 »

Aaaa
Last edited by Dannymp93 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shakey
Getting settled in

Re: Sports and dyspraxia

Post by shakey »

I can't speak from any sort of medical background but I've always thought that boxing can't do much good for the head! (Sorry!)
I have a bit of a habit of taking blows to the head (by accident) and ending up in hospital with concussion and when I was young it didn't seem to have much effect. But more recently, combined with non epilleptic seizures it seems to me that my general clumsiness symptoms have been getting worse. :( Whether that's the seizures or the blows to the head that sometimes happen as I fall to the ground - I couldn't tell you! :-k
Do take care of yourself! :)
shakey
Getting settled in

Post by shakey »

Sorry - I should add, that when I was younger, I knew nothing about dyspraxia, therefore wouldn't have necessarily noticed if the symptoms got worse, or otherwise, following concussion!
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Hi Danny. If you were diagnosed with dyspraxia at the age of 9, it's such a shame that no one explained to you about all the things it can affect and what causes it. If you're regularly experiencing blows to the head, it certainly won't do your brain any favours and could cause some kind of damage in the long term. I don't want to put you off boxing if it's something you really enjoy, but you should keep yourself informed of the possible consequences. You might be interested in reading this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_he ... xing.shtml

I wouldn't have thought that boxing would have a specific effect on dyspraxia, but it could cause some kind of brain injury which you'd then have to cope with in addition to your dyspraxia.
Dannymp93

Post by Dannymp93 »

Thankyou both for you quick replies. It was just a bit of a shock that ive known ie ha this for so long but never knew it effected so much. I havent been able to fid any direct links of any damage the boxig can cause to my dyxpraxia but was just curious as i know how dangerous boxing is anyway for the brain. I just wanted to make sure incas there was a chance i could make my dyxpraxia worse and that
RaviMover

Post by RaviMover »

Dannymp93 wrote:Hi i am new here, im 18 and was diagnosed with dysprxia when i was 9. My whole life i belived it wa just my writing but 2 days ago i foud out that its due to the brain and te pathways and that. It was a shock as now so many things make sense where i fought i was just stupid and so on. But anyway, the reason for this post is i have been boxing for 4 years and i was wondering if constantly taken blows to my head would have an effect on my dyspraxia??

Wow that's cool for you dear, in the early age you have done good work.....
Dannymp93

Post by Dannymp93 »

Thankyou. Its made me feel better about my boxing as with my muscle tone and co ordination and following sequences would make it more difficuilt for me to learn to box finding out the details has made me more proud of my achievments in myself as i have beaten some champions, a 2 time champion myself in 2 weights and went the istance with the number one in the country. It just shows that this "disability" doesnt have to hold any of us bak and hardwork and dedication can realy pay off!
RoughouseRosie

Post by RoughouseRosie »

Hi! I discovered your post from a google search I did on boxing and dispraxia since I have a son who is interested in boxing, obsessed really, and he also has dyspraxia. I'd love to hear an update and also how training went for you when you first started. Did you find it helped with motor planning over time?
Dannymp93

Post by Dannymp93 »

hi only just saw your reply, since that post i have one my first title belt and and defended it, my fight was on eurosport on sky and virgin and was shown about 12 times. i think it has helped me with my balance and co ordination to some degree but more specificly just with boxing as i still struggle with the day to day stuff but the main thing it gave me was self belief and confidence which i never had before its helped with alot of self esteem issues i hope this helps
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi Danny,

First of congrats on managing to make boxing and dyspraxia work for you, I would have thought the whole co-ordination thing might have made it very difficult, but as I've said before It amazing what you can do when you really want something.
Like a lot of the others I'd be surprised if it didn't have some kind of affect on your brain over time whether that be with regard to your dyspraxia or not.
Every time you take a blow to the head your brain effectively "slops around" a bit inside the brain pan and over time this will have affects.
Exactly how or how much this will effect you depends on many variables but that's the basic effect, but then I'm no neurologist I just watched some documentaries on it years ago :) .