Good Hobbies/Activities for dyspraxics

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Good Hobbies/Activities for dyspraxics

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi all,

I was just reading jpowels post about muscle tone and exercise and it got me to thinking.
These days I don't really do anything all that active pretty much all my time is spent hunched in front of a computer screen, which I don't think is to good for you physically or socially so I need a more active/social hobby.
My mates have made a number of suggestions ranging from World of War Craft (which they all seem to live on) #-o to Badminton which is a good idea in theory but for obvious reasons is probably not so great.
I used to go down my local council gym but it has gone right down hill and I cant afford the 30 + quid a month for any of the other gyms by me.
Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably something that wont end up with me crippling myself or some else (more than normal anyway :) ) .

Thanks.
SkeletaLady
Getting settled in

Re: Good Hobbies/Activities for dyspraxics

Post by SkeletaLady »

Swimming? I love it.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hmm, good exercise, low impact, good idea thanks mate :) .
It may mean mentally scaring a few people, after they've seen me in nothing but a pair of swimming trunks but that's the risk we all take going swimming :D .
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Walking / trecking - thats allways a good one for relaxing and redusing stress / axianty etc. I find that it gets you out of the house and doing somthing which isent too much if you don't feel up to doing much.

I collect and remake lava lamps - they are verry intresting to look at and can keep you amused for ages and there is a lot of creative scope to be had with devloping and desinging them.
The real Mr Potato Head
mattyjacko
Getting settled in

Post by mattyjacko »

I do archery and piano. They don't seem to be affected by dyspraxia like other things are. Most sports I am terrible at. Team games such as football I get really disorientated and I am not aware of my positioning. I was an ok defender because you have one area and a specific role. I could never be a midfielder, too confusing plus I am slow.

So yeah archery is a great sport for anyone whatever the age or disability. I can get scores equal and even better than a lot of the fully able bodied archers in the clubs and in competitions.

The only thing which is a problem is dyspraxics in general are not good under pressure and in new situations. This means that competitions are really tough and I usually get much lower scores because I am distracted or put off by the different hall, much more people and a more rigid shooting regime. But sometimes I do really well in competitions so I guess it is all about practice and getting used to competitive scoring and competitions. Once you shoot competitivly more and more you relax and can focus on the shooting rather than the other stigma.

You would think that dyspraxics would not be good pianists but I have gotten up to a grade 3 standard in just 1 year and there is a dyspraxic guy at the leeds college of music that has gotten to grade 7 in just 5 years and has won awards so It seems that there are odd things that we can excell at. You never really know what it is going to be.

I reccomend solitary aiming sports and step by step learning of instruments. Raquet sports you may never be amazing but you can be decent at them. Was always ok at badminton tennis and squash.

I think it is the linearity of activities that determines how difficult we will find it. Activities done in a 3d plain ie forewards backwards left and right up and down require a lot more coordination like in football or lacrosse, where as a 2 dimensional plain in archery is just done in one direction. Table tennis is only played forwards and side to side motions so they are not too difficult, tennis and badminton and squash are in between. The more people you add I think the harder sports get for us so solo or 1 on 1 sports suit best.
mattyjacko
Getting settled in

Post by mattyjacko »

Also Yoga and pilates is really good. The strenuous excercise and stretching of yoga helps really relax the muscles and aids concentration and improves balance as well as increasing fitness.
Bonny866
New member - welcome them!

Post by Bonny866 »

Golf is supposed to be good and it doesn't have to be as expensive as you might think. The driving range is good for reducing anxiety and that is very cheap.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Golf is supposed to be good and it doesn't have to be as expensive as you might think. The driving range is good for reducing anxiety and that is very cheap.
Yea I have heard that - my phyc recomeneded it to me - I havent had a go at the driving range yet but I should at some point.
The real Mr Potato Head
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Had a go at Archery when I was little and loved it but where is the nearest center in the midland?
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Hear you go - a quick Google serarch found this out http://www.meriden-archery.org.uk/
The real Mr Potato Head
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hear you go - a quick Google serarch found this out http://www.meriden-archery.org.uk/
Thanks Tim ill take a look.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Interesting question.

The most important thing is to find something you love doing, that way you'll waste endless hours forgetting you have any kind of difficulty.

I like to keep fit in my own way, the endorphins the body release alone go a long way to injecting a feel good buzz but it's also the personal satisfaction gained from picking an activity and getting to a level where you feel you've done well.

My general keep fit, physical activities include cycling, rowing & light weight training. Or at least they did. Because at the moment I'm restricted by muscular injuries in my neck/shoulder and leg which I suspect Dysbraxia doesn't help much. I hope to get back into some kind of regime eventually, because I find it helps my hand eye co-ordination, concentration and general feeling of well being. Plus being relatively fit helps me in my ocassional hobby of go-karting which requires a fair deal of fittness, co-ordination, concentration and good sense!

My main activity whilst I try and recover from my present troubles is walking. I can loose a whole day to walking, fill up a rucksack with lunch and water, switch on the iPod and GPS tracking and off I go. Complete serenity whilst enjoying my favourite music, beautiful countryside, daydreaming like a goodun and ofcourse burning off a good many calories. I don't much like the blisters though!
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I like dancing, I've been to salsa classes and I like the way you have to think about where your arms and legs are all the time...it sort of keeps the information fresh in my head and I'm a bit less prone to bashing into things...of course I'm very ver y slow to learn how....folks that started the same time as me were ff giving demonstrations in london and I moved up to 'intermediate' new steps are slow to come and I'm sorry but some steps are jsut completely impossible!! It makes me lauigh like a drain....hang on a mo....whty did I stop going????? Right Salsa here I come (back) :lol:
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I'm utlessy hopeless at dancing. Partly because of my lack of useful hand eye co-ordination but mostly because I'm just a bit too self counciousnes and think I look like a complete plonk, which if I'm honest I actually do! #-o plus there's always someone who feels the need to point and laugh as it were.

So basically for me to dance... I have to be extremely comfortable with the company or at least very very drunk, and since I don't get drunk very often at all.. That doesn't happen.

I guess the limt of my dancing would be a slow romantic mooch of somesort... With a life partner shoud I ever find one.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
AnnettettennA
New member - welcome them!

Post by AnnettettennA »

I really love rock climbing. It uses pretty much all your muscles and is generally a very good work-out, and fun!
One of the best things about it is that it isn't a team sport, and you're not playing it against anyone so you don't have to worry about 'letting someone down' if you're not amazing straight away. You do need to go with a friend though as you have to belay each other, though many climbing centres will help set you up with a climbing partner. Oh, another great thing about it is the adrenaline, I get tired really easily so give up on exercise pretty quickly but the adrenaline manages to keep me going for way longer :)