Getting me down

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

LukeHowe
New member - welcome them!

Getting me down

Post by LukeHowe »

Hey, well my name is Luke and i'm 18 from Coventry.
I was first diagnosed with dyspraxia about 3 years ago and at the time I thought, finally I can do something about it.
But now that i've turned 18 and i'm going out into the big world I am realising that dyspraxia is having a huge effect on my life and it really is getting me down.

I had my first intimate girlfriend last year and it went terribly, I would attempt to do something cute like kiss her neck and end up head butting her or getting my glasses caught in her hair. I would not fully understand what she was asking of me and I would forget about our arrangements, no need to say it didn't last much longer than a month when she couldn't handle it anymore.

I also wanted to learn to drive but after reading some things on the internet and talking to my doctor I have realised it is going to be a massive challenge.

Does anybody else just feel overwhelmed by it all sometimes?
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: Getting me down

Post by Osymandus »

Hey bro , bless ya , don;t worry it does get better (sometimes ;)). Don;t worry about driving took me 2 1/2 years but can be done (mind you i was undiagnosed by then ). Go for an automatic, and explain to any instructor your condition and they will help ;)
melvin1990
Getting settled in

Post by melvin1990 »

I know how you feel,Luke.Been dyspraxic since the age of four and cope with it relatively well.Sometimes though I encounter new difficulties and problems and I suppose it takes me a while to discover ways of coping or minimising the impact on my life.

Can be a right pain in the neck sometimes though...Would love to be non-dyspraxic sometimes :D
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

It is overwhelming alright but as the books says Feel the fear and do it anyway.
madyotto
Getting settled in

Post by madyotto »

over whelming is not the word lol

i am really struggling at the moment with lots of aspects due to my dysprax yet i have had 15+ years to get used to it
and find it increasingly hard to deal with and there is no support after you leave school what to do ?

as for the driving do not take it for granted that all dyspraxics have big problems with driving.

i had no problems
what i did most don't was get a mate to lend me a car on a huge car park a quick 1 minuet explanation of what did what and then asked them to have minimal input and all but let me teach myself how to control the car this helped massively leaving me with a very good understanding of the cars controls

thus making it easyier to take in and comprehend what else was going on around me

i also have a very understanding tutor who was an old friend of my mums and knew a little of my background

i do have to agree that making it known about the dyspraxia helped also

i learnt to drive a manual being the boy racer i was born to be an auto was never an option lol

i only have small problems when parking

i however can not only drive cars as a matter of fact i have lots of driving experience and love any form of driving

the list just seems to grow every year so far i can drive

motor bikes/ cars/ vans/ tractors/ jcb diggers/telescopic fork lifts/ fast tracks/ bobcats (extreamly small and thin digger)

so what i am saying is do not judge how much you could struggle as you may not i actually felt that most of the control's where natural to me
so just go for it and find an instructor that you feel very comfortable with
mnwjm1981
Getting settled in

Post by mnwjm1981 »

I'm 29 and struggled with dyspraxia for a long while. I won't pretend it's always easy, because it's not, but one thing I will say is this;

Be proud of who you are. Dyspraxia is part of who you are, but it doesn't define you. You will get it under control and, as you conquer the fear, you will learn what your comfort zone is and what you can do easily.

It's taken me a long time to get comfortable with my condition, but it's such a positive - I guarantee there's light at the end of the tunnel.

There's a few groups on Facebook and also the Dyspraxia Foundation that can offer support. I'm the administrator for "Dyspraxia World" on Facebook - come and join us :-)