A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jen
Getting settled in

The Wii

Post by Jen »

Hiya all,

Hope everybody had a good xmas? :)

My niece got a wii and I have been playing on wii sports. I'm good at the bowling but really rubbish at every thing else. I know my han eye co-ordination isn't very good. Don't know if the rubbish at game is my dyspraxia or if I'm just rubbish.

Just wondered how other have got on :P
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Re: The Wii

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I'm actually pretty good at most of the games :banana:
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Probably means you need practice at playing the various games....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Icarus
Getting settled in

Post by Icarus »

I'm not that good at bowling, but am undefeatable at tennis.
''Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than- no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King''
-Doctor Who
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

personally then I won't be getting a Wii this year, or maybe next, as got so many other things to do with my money.
emma
New member - welcome them!

Post by emma »

Think the boxing game is my strong point on the wii :)
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I just got a Wii for Christmas. Actually, my family just got it. :) We have Wii Fit, Wii Sports (which came with it), Guitar Hero Aerosmith for Wii and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for Wii. They are all really great games. I enjoy the Wii because it gets me doing active stuff and keeps my mind off things that bother me sometimes. I like the Wii sports. I'm particularly good at baseball (almost a pro now!). You have to practice at all the sports though to get good. I think bowling is the easiest to get good at, but the others are hard. You just have to work at it. Do you have the same sports on the Wii Sports in Europe? I wondered if you had baseball too or not because it's mainly an American/South American/Aisan sport.

Harry Potter is the hardest for me, but then again, I just got it for my b-day and so I haven't got to practice a lot. It's fun though. Guitar Hero is amazing and so is Wii Fit. The games on Wii Fit really get you moving and anyone can do them. It doesn't judge you for doing bad and praises your achievements. I love our Wii and intend to get more games for it in the future! :)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

my parent's got the Wii, and the Wii fit, and did have a go at the 10 pin bowling, and got 1 strike, and almost catching my mother at one point, but that taken my mind off it, and I missed my pins!!

as for the fit side of it, then had a go at some of them with my cousin, and knackered just after 1 race of shaking the controllers, so yes it will get you very fit on the upper body, as for the mat, I daren't even try, as there is nothing that I can grab hold of, said to my mother she will have to get a zimmer frame for it before I attempt the mat!!

I'm not too bad at walking, as it is a forward movement all the time, not too bad at trying not to step on the cats when they hide behind me, but as for balance then I have next to none.

so I still can't see myself getting a Wii or Wii fit, but if you want to get fit, or loose a few hundred pounds (in weight, and money!) then it is the system to do that.
Calitxu
Getting settled in

Post by Calitxu »

I'm not too bad at wii bowling, although 9 times out of 10 I send the ball off to the side. It starts of straight then curves insanely at the end. Must be my arm movement!

My biggest nightmare at the moment is Guitar Hero. I've been giving the drums a go in the hope it'll improve my coordination but I get so infuriated with it!

Has anyone else tried?
becky
Getting settled in

Post by becky »

I am awesome at Wii boxing. I have no concievable technique, but I'm ferocious and I ALWAYS beat my opponents. This makes me happy as in real life a child could knock me down.

Does anyone else get nervy when they are playing platform games? I get so paranoid that I'm going to fall off that I lose concentration and ineveitably get killed. I'd love to be good at computer games, but the only one I can master is Freecell. I rock at that!
Ali13
New member - welcome them!

Post by Ali13 »

LOL Becka...

Anyhoo...I'm awful on the Wii. My arms just flail wildly. Not good with the ol' hypermobility making my shoulders pop! Getting quite good at Mario Kart, but it makes my wrists sore. And I get very angry!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

edit my last quote, I wasn't going to get the wii this year, but the deal I had was too good to refuse. which iwas the Wii, Wii board, and Wii Fit, all brand new for less than a Wii on Amazon.

so would have been silly to pass up on it. so got it all for £173, instead of about £240.

and the Wii board arrived today, so done my first 30 minutes on it. the only thing was the ski jump, one question, aren't you supposed to get better at it? as I went worse with every attempt!

although done all the unlocked stuff first, and then done that to get my minutes up. as for the wii, then it isn't bad, but as far as I can see it is more or less a box that sits to the side a lot of the time, as it involves too much interaction, even for the simple things like the brain tests.
rainbow501

Post by rainbow501 »

Just practice more often and it should help! i practice on tomb raider on my play station two quite a lot and it gets easier!
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

I can't control the wiimote...
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

Hey, happy New Year everyone. How aware I am becoming of this dyspraxia thing: A friend has been given a Wii for Xmas and I went to his place yesterday. Of course I have always known how bad I am at it, but I had never thought that it would be relaed to dyspraxia. The only good thing I am good at is the Boxing game (I also punch like mad so I win everyone) and yoga wth the wii fit. For the rest: I haven't been able to keep the cart inside the lane for a single loop, witb the golf, and baseball I am just not able to move the remote the way I should. Als, I cannot stay still inthe same place, so I hit everything and anyone around me as my movements are sooooo wide. I hit my friend twice, my glasses flew away when I punched myself, my watch also flew away and I knocked down a beer and a lamp, I hit the door a few times... Lucky it's a good friend. I guess if I spent two hours a day practising it would become better...
Eva in London