Do any of you have weak ankles?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Do any of you have weak ankles?

Post by firemonkey »

Do any of you have weak ankles? My ankle gave way twice when walking with my stepdaughter and granddaughters this afternoon. It's not the first time that has happened. I don't think my shoes helped. I have wide fitting shoes due to wide feet but think I bought them too wide. Also they are soft backed as hard backed shoes give me blisters
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Do any of you have weak ankles?

Post by allesandro »

all my life. they cave in and I either fall or almost fall
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I find my ankle(s) will sometimes 'roll' causing me to stumble. I believe I've read it is quite common with dyspraxia
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

My doctor said that to strengthen ankle muscles put a bunch of pennies on the floor next to a large jar. Then, while sitting, pick the pennies up with your toes and put them in the jar. He also said to write all the letters of the alphabet on the floor with your big toe while sitting. You can also stand on bean bags because as the beans shift you will be required to exercise all parts of your ankle muscles.
Pistachio
New member - welcome them!

Post by Pistachio »

Yeah, I fall over quite a lot. Often from tripping over something, but also just falling down for no reason - my ankles give way, or my legs go to jelly, or I start leaning to one side then just keep going! Haha. Sometimes it's like I've just forgotten that I need to still be standing... especially if I've had a drink or two and am trying to stand still for too long.

I've learnt to laugh about it rather than getting embarrassed, and I rate myself out of 10 for comedy value, so I feel like I've achieved something :D
Not looking forward to being older and having fragile hips and things though... I'm gonna have to build a padded house.

My partner is an osteopath and he says I'm hyper-mobile, which I think means "floppy jointed" in my case rather than awesomely gymnastic.

I'm going to try the penny exercise, sounds fun :)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I definitely had weak ankles as a kid. I was always reprimanded by my parents for walking with my toes in like a pigeon. But really that was dealing with the symptoms rather than the underlying cause.

As well as weak ankles, I have rather floppy joints everywhere. Nevertheless, I like to think that years of exercise have got rid of the worst of these problems.
mrros

Post by mrros »

The plantar tendon is a tendon plate that runs from the heel bone under the sole. The lower heel spur often occurs in people who are overweight or tall. Athletes-runners and people who are into other sports often complain of stabbing pain in the plantar region of the foot. An upper heel spur is characterized by pain in the heel area. The Achilles tendon, which originates at the junction of the medial and lateral heads of the calf and muscles, becomes inflamed and causes pressure pain in the foot when the wrong shoes are worn. Athletes suffering from plantar tendon inflammation are advised to reduce stress in the foot and use the

Illegal advertising link removed by Admin
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Lukelatewalker

Post by Lukelatewalker »

In my case yes, I didn't learn to walk until 3.. 😥
floppy feet is what my GP called it.
Along with flat feet,, which is common with dyspraxia, my ankles are very out of line, rolling inwards.
Late walking can cause this from my research, as babies arches begin to form with walking..
The dyspraxic combination of low muscle tone, fatigue, hypermobility, executive function deficits makes us an unsteady bunch (clumsy or goofy to neurotypicals)
The12Sruggles

Post by The12Sruggles »

Ya, it's a pain. My ankles will randomly buckle, roll or just feel so much pain at random times. :blush:
RebeR23

Post by RebeR23 »

When you move throughout the day, the joints of your ankles and surrounding muscles absorb a lot of strength. And this can be detrimental if your ankles are weak. To get started, you can start doing exercises to strengthen your ankles and use athletic tape to avoid injury [Commercial URL removed and poster permanently banned after first warning not heeded!]. Standing on one foot and keeping your balance can improve the coordination needed to prevent ankle injuries. For example, standing on one foot while doing household chores, washing dishes, or watching TV can positively affect.
Primrose44

Post by Primrose44 »

Not really. But they could hurt after walking for long distances without taking a rest. I'd advise you to see a doctor and get treated immediately to avoid suffering a worse disaster in future, in case of an unknown underlying health issue. But I don't think it's a much serious problem, and I'm sure you will get over it soon!
cantrideabike

Post by cantrideabike »

Oh my god , yes !! I thought I was just too fat for my ankles but reading these replies I don't think that's the case at all! I haven't been diagnosed with dyspraxia but after receiving training in this, I am now CONVINCED! (i have many other symptoms, not just crap ankles)
cantrideabike

Post by cantrideabike »

The12Sruggles wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:50 pm Ya, it's a pain. My ankles will randomly buckle, roll or just feel so much pain at random times. :blush:
Same here !!
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Definitely! I live in walking boots because they’re the best support I’ve found. In summer it’s high top converse…

I totally thought it was just me!