Hello - I'm new!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bengalcatgirl
New member - welcome them!

Hello - I'm new!

Post by bengalcatgirl »

Hey all,
I had a private assessment yesterday for Dyspraxia and I'm awaiting my report so whilst I am not 'officially' a Dyspraxic Adult yet, I have a feeling I will be within the next few weeks. The OT did not confirm that I have Dyspraxia but she did tell me a few bits throughout such as what my sensory profile indicates...

Apparently I am low registration on the sensory profile, of course straight after my assessment I visited Dr Google and I'm shocked at how much this accurately reflects me

Feeling a bit down today, firstly because the assessment really drained me and secondly because it sort of 'confirmed' something isn't quite right (although I have suspected so for a number of years). Anyone else feel this way after the assessment? I signed up just because I thought it might help to hear from others with similar experiences

Thanks for reading :O
AnimalMad
New member - welcome them!

Re: Hello - I'm new!

Post by AnimalMad »

Hello,
I can imagine that being assessed as an adult is draining and the thought of being told that you may be neurodivergent as an adult is scary! I was diagnosed as a child and have known I was dyspraxic for as long as I can remember so I never really viewed it as something that isn't quite right with me but a quirk that I have.

Regardless of the outcome of the report just remember that you are the same person you were before you went into that appointment so it's not like something has suddenly changed in your life. If anything it is likely to be incredibly beneficial as you can seek advice on how to manage living with dyspraxia which will hopefully make your day to day living easier. I hope this helps and makes you feel less down :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello - I'm new!

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome to both of you

It's all too easy (and understandable) to get in to the rut of thinking it is everything that's wrong or not right with us. It explains why things have not be easy and helps dispel the common myths that we're stupid /lazy.

Accessing an assessment is not easy so a proportion are self-declaring. We welcome everyone other than advertisers/spammers. The forum is regrettably a lot quieter with the advent of Social media but it's a slower less fractious place where you can search through past posts going back to 2006.

If you haven't seen it already please check out http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =14&t=7385
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)