Re Re Introduction

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Auron
Power poster

Re Re Introduction

Post by Auron »

Got my DCD write up in the post today, and yes, at long last I have been diagnosed officially with DCD/Dyspraxia.
( I though re introduction? since I've not been on this forum in eons)

It only took the guts of 14~15 years, for it to bother me long enough, and for me to begin the process, stick to the process, see the process through, book the tests, do the tests and get the results.

Who knows if I ever would have done this if not for Covid Lockdown.

ON the surface, nothing much has changed, but fundamentally to my identity as a person, it takes a weight off. I can now summarize; I don't need to put myself down in a cornucopia of ways when meeting new people.
"Don't count on me to remember X", "don't depened on me to do Y", "I'm clumsy", "I'm forgetful", "I often don't understand".
It'll just be "I have this condition, this is what it means, I'm well adjusted to it, here are the pros and cons". <finger click> all done
It shifts me from just being a regular guy who has so many baffling clumsy/forgetful tendencies, to someone "doing quite well despite having a DCD".

Great stuff. The test was worth every penny.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Re Re Introduction

Post by Tom fod »

Nice to see you back.

Please can we ask where you are, where/who you went to and a rough idea of the cost and anything useful to help inform others?

Cheers
Auron wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:57 pm Got my DCD write up in the post today, and yes, at long last I have been diagnosed officially with DCD/Dyspraxia.
( I though re introduction? since I've not been on this forum in eons) . . .
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Welcome back to the forum Auron, great to see you back.
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

hy BTW, wow, was it really two years!?

I don't really have any useful information other than the fastest way to a diagnosis if you suspect you have dyspraxia is to privately contact an "Occupational Therapist" for a consultation, and potentially a test.

Like forget GPs first or Psychologist or Psycho-therapists first. Go for an occupational therapist.

I had an Occupational Therapist come to me (she travels around the country) she sent me paperwork ahead of time, we had a meeting for an initial assessment, then we did 3 or 4 hour full assessment.