Hi everyone

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GallusLass
New member - welcome them!

Hi everyone

Post by GallusLass »

Just joined up. Looking forward to speaking with you and getting to know you all. Diagnosed nine years ago at the age of 53 due to the changing demands at my work. Happily retired from all that now, but that also brings it's own challenges! Married with two grown up kids - one, a polyglot (her special super-power), also diagnosed who is just starting her career as a teacher. My real name is Louise - but that user name was taken.
As a kid, I was confused - I was in the top group but they were talking about "special school". Went on to become an over-achiever at a pace I could never keep up, but was in the remedial class for sports. The PE teachers were sadists - they designed a challenge for that class so that the whole school could laugh at us. It was a complete circuit with items of clothing laid out along the way that we had to run and put on - it was called "Catch the Train". Me? That was my event - I owned it and showed those witches! Then I discovered pool, fags, drink and rock'n'roll. Went on to Art College, but, looking back, I'm sure that my dyspraxia held me back from achieving what I wanted to. Never mind, made life-long friends there.
I am hopeless with tech - do not have a smart phone as I cannot work them. I do most things by hand as I find that easier to control speed-wise - ie, sewing, preparing stuff for cooking. It took me 25 years of driving lessons to pass my test first time. Could not work out what those who could drive had that I didn't. Answer: CO-ORDINATION! I am tenacious and the driver of an automatic. Hopeless housekeeper, keen archaeological site scraper and mediocre artist, I spent 30-odd years as a child protection worker before those awful words "We're getting a new computer system"! That was it - I hadn't got to grips with the one from 10 years before. Taken on for people skills and reduced to spending 80% of the time typing with one finger. Retirement beckoned.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Louise

Welcome to the Forum (or should it be fora given the different subsection boards). The imposition of other peoples' change and new ways of doing things can so often pull the rug out from under our feet!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)