Hi there just joined!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aaron
Getting settled in

Hi there just joined!

Post by Aaron »

My name is Aaron. I am 64 years old. I have been diagnosed as Dyspraxic when I was about 35. As well I have had long term mental health illness. I have been browsing and studying stuff online about Dyspraxia Mental Health and also Autism. I feel I am in a new stage of learning. It has been so good to see so many people with the above and combinations of the above talking and also reading what people say. I feel so touched by it all. As well I am only just learning how often people with learning difficulties or disabilities also have mental health problems. I did not know how common Dyspraxia is within the autistic spectrum. As well stuff like fear of textures foods types plus sensory overloads. As well, attention problems and ADD. Also there is the subject of alexithymia which I feel that if I told my own story I don’t know if it would fit or be even more strange to some.

I suppose I want to read talk and learn. From my own history I am not sure whether I am autistic or not. One online test was yes definitely, another was no and two more nearly. To be honest I am aghast at all the stuff I am learning from you guys. I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia in the mid 90s and yes I understood some of it then but with all the resources and lived experiences which are accessible online I feel I am on a new journey. Love to you all.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi there just joined!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Aaron

Welcome Glad you've found us.
Most in the Dyspraxic community are insistent that our condition is distinct from the Autistic Spectrum. Some people do have both together

I see it as a case that some 'coping strategies' adopted by folk with dyspraxia, for example a liking for and/or strict adherance to routines, and/or the tendency to be overwhelmed by conflicting priorities / information overload, possibly resulting in an emotional outburst, can lead casual observers who don't know us or our history but know enough themselves to be dangerous, can be all too quick to point the finger and say "that's really autistic!".

I think it's more the case that the two spectra almost converge in a few areas.

If you haven't seen it already, here is a link to a Directory of resources I've compiled:
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... 079fa1adf6
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Aaron
Getting settled in

Post by Aaron »

Hi Tom

Yes that is kind of what I think about the relationship and connection between both although this is all news to me. I was diagnosed as Dyspraxic in the mid 90s, since then I have only met one other person with the diagnosis. Online I have seen and read about lots. I would not try for an Autism diagnosis anyway as my age and as long as I can communicate with others then fine. As well I am discovering how many are affected in a mental health sense with these types of problems and it is understandable how it can affect people in the long term.

I am shocked at the costs of getting a diagnosis these days privately going into close to a £1000 pounds in some cases. Mine only cost about £200.

As well I did not know I was in the category of neurodivergent!! but you know what! I like it, I am going to embrace it lol!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

£800 -1,000 seems to be the going rate and is does price too many out of getting the on paper professional confirmation they need to accept and move forwards. Once people do learn there sadly isn't much in terms of what do I do now, who should I tell and how can I tell them so they react appropriately. I think some of us pick up/employ coping strategies that can also have a detrimental impact on our mental health/emotional wellbeing. We tend to drive ourselves as perfectionists so that others cannot find fault but sustaining this is difficult/impossible.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Aaron
Getting settled in

Re: Hi there just joined

Post by Aaron »

It is shocking and upsetting as it will make it more difficult to get assessed and for people to get an understanding of their condition and get the help they need. I don’t know what the waiting times are via the NHS or educational means are.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Aaron wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:21 am It is shocking and upsetting as it will make it more difficult to get assessed and for people to get an understanding of their condition and get the help they need. I don’t know what the waiting times are via the NHS or educational means are.
Most GPs have little or no options for referring adults for assessment if they ask for help. If you're very lucky and can convince your GP an assessment will help you move forwards they might write an out of area referral but it's not necessarily a done deal as it may be declined for reasons of cost by the health authority or by the receiving consultant as Dyspraxia in Adults is not really provided for. Some people learn at University and may be lucky enough to get a discounted rate. Some employers are forward thinking and may help fund assessment so that they can do the right thing in terms of getting the best out of and correctly supporting an employee. Post-assessment support is not really there but thankfully there's this Forum and a lot of peer to peer support on Social Media.

Even parents are sometimes forced to shell out for an assessment as LEA's can be slow to recognise and support pupils.The Dyspraxia Foundation (DF) did scoop the formation of an All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) and there are a couple of Dyspraxic MPs. Covid has unfortunately impacted this.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Asaded
New member - welcome them!

Post by Asaded »

Hello and welcome to our forum! We're glad you joined us, Aaron. You seem to have a lot of experience. I hope that you will share it with other users. You can also always contact us with questions or problems. We will try to help.
Recently, I have started to experience anxiety. It is difficult to combine it together with some symptoms of dyspraxia. Therefore, if you have any questions about treatment anxiety, you can contact me.
I haven't started serious treatment yet, but I'm gradually preparing for it. We are waiting for you again!
Last edited by Asaded on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Asaded wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:04 pm Hello and welcome to our forum! We're glad you joined us, Aaron. You seem to have a lot of experience. I hope that you will share it with other users. You can also always contact us with questions or problems. We will try to help.
Hi and welcome Asaded

Please tell us a bit more about yourself too.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator