Finally! Hello!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MattLK98
New member - welcome them!

Finally! Hello!

Post by MattLK98 »

Oh my goodness, I don’t think I can really express how relieved I am to be here. But for now, Hi! I’m Matt, I’m 23 and a conductor/trombonist based in Birmingham. I’ve struggled with Dyspraxia for as long as I can remember and, while I’ve curtailed a lot of the physical issues like balance and coordination, I still struggle hugely with handwriting, time management and depression and anxiety. I can’t help but feel hopeless when I’m sat staring at a screen or my diary looking at everything I have to do and just falling down this hole of anxiety because I can’t gather my thoughts and just can’t concentrate. It would be absolutely amazing to hear how some of you have tackled your organisation issues, and how you face the negative impact our conditions can have on our mental health. It’s great to finally find a forum like this, as I’ve never really felt like anybody really understands what dyspraxia really is!
Sending you all lots of love and take care out there in this weird world!!! ❤️
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Finally! Hello!

Post by Tom fod »

MattLK98 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:03 am Oh my goodness, I don’t think I can really express how relieved I am to be here. But for now, Hi! I’m Matt, I’m 23 and a conductor/trombonist based in Birmingham. I’ve struggled with Dyspraxia for as long as I can remember and, while I’ve curtailed a lot of the physical issues like balance and coordination, I still struggle hugely with handwriting, time management and depression and anxiety. I can’t help but feel hopeless when I’m sat staring at a screen or my diary looking at everything I have to do and just falling down this hole of anxiety because I can’t gather my thoughts and just can’t concentrate. It would be absolutely amazing to hear how some of you have tackled your organisation issues, and how you face the negative impact our conditions can have on our mental health. It’s great to finally find a forum like this, as I’ve never really felt like anybody really understands what dyspraxia really is!
Sending you all lots of love and take care out there in this weird world!!! ❤️
Hi Matt and welcome Glad you've found us.

We're a diverse bunch in ourselves so while we have common traits we can be like chalk and cheese in other respects/aspects,

I think we tend to be big picture thinkers so see the enormity/complexity of a task and become overwhelmed as we cam't always see how or where to start. ADHD or traits of it are quite common among Dyspraxic folk. I think we can sometimes gravitate towards unhealthy and unsustainable coping strategies. For instance perfectionism or a need to try to control the uncontrollable.

If you do Facebook there are a vast number of Dyspraxia-focused groups on there. People in the community also have You Tube channels and put out Podcasts and online magazines. This forum might be a backwater nowadays but I would say it's an oasis of calm compared to the Social Media jungle

See http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... b6d980435d
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)