Hi All

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chrisg
New member - welcome them!

Hi All

Post by chrisg »

Hi my name is Chris, and I was diagnosed with dyspraxia, along with dyslexia and dyscalculia back in 2019. I'm 55 now and I've always known there was something wrong but I'm sure like many others I just thought I was lazy clumsy and to be honest a bit stupid at core subjects such as maths, English and languages while I was at school. Where I did excel was developing novel ideas, processing arguments and understanding concepts. I came out of school with a handful of very poor cse's. I kind of knew that I was quite intelligent in certain areas. But my shortcomings did hold me back and I had no idea why. I'm now finding that many of my symptoms are getting worse with age. My memory is shocking, and my wife diispares that I can muck up a shirt in moments. After being diagnosed, I went through a six month period of depression and anxiety I think this was brought on by noticing how this was affecting my work. A year down the road with covid and furlough and then working from home, I'm finding it a struggle to work effectively. My employers have been great, arranging help and support including getting me through the access to work scheme and providing CBT. But I feel that I am getting worse, particularly with memory and I have many days where my head is just mush. So I guess I'm looking to find others in a similar possition so that we can share experiences.

Thanks

Chris, and sorry if that was a bit long-winded.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi All

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Chris
Welcome and glad you've found us.

Regrettably there is still a dearth of post-diagnosis support and often I think we are prone to perfectionism and resultant anxiety as it's just not sustainable.

We can develop coping strategies to get by but sometimes the imposition of change (o rnew knowledge about ourselves) pulls the rug out from under us plunging us into uncertainty and anxiety.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)