Happy and relieved to be here

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

E-star
New member - welcome them!

Happy and relieved to be here

Post by E-star »

Hello everyone

I found this website accidentally. I am undiagnosed but certain that I found out what my problem really was a few years back. As I turn 49, I seem to have found a consolation to my problems - Knowing that I am not alone or weird.

I am a Chemistry teacher who stumbled across information on dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia when I was handling an examinations department at a busy school around 2010 when we were trying to include special considerations for students.

Over the years, I had come up with numerous observations: I could hardly run without falling over, I can not catch a ball or keys if you threw them to me; I went to the gym and the instructor could not understand why my shoulders were drooping, I have poor posture-no matter how hard I try, I walk slowly and do most things slowly (more because I try to avoid mishaps), I noticed that it is very hard for me to play computer games when the speed increases, I have challenges grasping concepts/ideas but once I get them, I perfect them. I cannot multi-task because I need to focus and complete tasks well. People tend to say that I am "lazy" but I am glad that I now know that I am not. I tire easily and one thing that I discovered from this website... I get overly anxious over many things. And I can not ride a motorbike because I can not control the accelerator and brakes using my hands.

Why am I undiagnosed? Its pretty simple... I am in Kenya where we barely have assessments.

I am glad to be here as I know I will learn a lot from everyone and will put it all into practice. I hope to start my own school where I can one day make a change by catering for students with some of these special needs as I believe that everyone can excel.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Happy and relieved to be here

Post by Tom fod »

Hi E-Star

Welcome to the Forum we've glad you've found us.
A lot of our members are self-identifying /self-declaring as even in the UK getting assessment/confirmation as an adult is a bit of a lottery.

I did Chemistry nearly 30yrs ago now but struggled with the concept and maths of the Mole.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)