Introduction

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kwenda
New member - welcome them!

Introduction

Post by Kwenda »

Hi all,
I have never been diagnosed by a doctor, but clearly have both dyspraxia and dysgraphia.
Born in 1945, and as I grew up my mother would comment that, ‘ you walk funny, just like your uncle Derek’. Such was the state of medicine in the 1950’s. The BIG problem was the dysgraphia which again was never diagnosed and was attributed to just being too lazy to try and write properly. I was forced into long sessions with the art master who was never able to improve my writing, and again wrote in his reports that I was just lazy.
After a succession of jobs that require writing I eventually escaped to work as a refrigeration engineer, since this work did not require any writing.
Eventually I discovered typing, and used a succession of early word processors, then an early computer with Word Perfect and now later computers with Word or Google Docs.
I would also say that I have mild Asperger's Syndrome as I do find larger social groups difficult.
Hopefully any young person is now diagnosed with dyspraxia early, as my life certainly has been badly affected.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Introduction

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Kwenda

Welcome glad you've found us.

A lot of folk find themselves resorting to self declaration as obtaining confirmation/diagnosis as an adult is something of a lottery. The other thing to be aware of is that many traits associated with Dyspraxia can also be attributed to/present with other Neurodivergent conditions too. It can all get very confusing. Deciding we're lazy is laziness in itself
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)