Undiagnosed but I think I may have it.

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SimoneC
New member - welcome them!

Undiagnosed but I think I may have it.

Post by SimoneC »

Hi,

My name is Simone, I'm a 43 year old woman from the UK originally and have lived in Canada for the past 15 years. Ever since I can remember I've been clumsy, fallen over a lot, I never learned how to ride a bike, swimming I can do a crazy doggy paddle :) when I type, I type with 1 finger on my right hand and 4 on my left. With eating I struggle to cut food up such as meats. I have to dig my fork into the food and rip it off to cut my food whereas everyone around me is cutting their meat and food nicely.

I've fallen down more times than I can count, bumped my head a lot, bump in to things, have to really focus to write neatly, I can't read a map to save my life. I'm taking driving lessons and though I'm getting the basics down, the whole being aware of everything around me I struggle with.

I got diagnosed with ADHD last year, which I felt explained a lot about me, I was reading a few months ago that Daniele Radcliffe has mild dyspraxia and it got me looking in to it.

Now I'm here wondering how I can get tested. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and I found a place that tests kids and I e-mailed them to ask about where I can go for adult testing.

I saw this group and well, from all I've written here, does it sound like I could have it?

thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Undiagnosed but I think I may have it.

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Simone

Welcome. Glad you've found us

The difficulties you mention are typically the type of things we do struggle with. That you've got ADHD is also interesting as often folk who have ADHD, can have or are also diagnosed with other neurodivergent conditions.You can have one or both.

You're not our first Canadian visitor but regrettably I'm not really that familiar with what healthcare options are available in Canada. In the UK, adults can find it a struggle to access assessments as what services there are are concentrated in the paediatric sphere and the myth that we should have grown out of it, is also a very unhelpful blocker. I do know some Canadians who are seeking to spread awareness of Dyspraxia (also referred to as DCD)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)