New here and looking for advice

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Paula
New member - welcome them!

New here and looking for advice

Post by Paula »

Hi

I'm new here and was just looking for help on the internet when I found this site. I'm 53 years old and whilst I never have been diagnosed with dyspraxia I have always been pretty sure it is something that I live with. I was the kid that was always the last to be picked for sports, I was regularly laughed at for being poor with my co-ordination and I do remember being hit for being clumsy at home and by my teachers for my hand writing. That was long ago and largely forgotten. Well maybe not as I wouldn't mention it!! But that's not why I'm here.

I have a bad back at the moment and I thought I would try again to find some on-line exercises to help strengthen my core muscles(usually I give up when I have previously looked at exercise videos!). The thing is I just can't follow the the instructions, neither verbally or through the pictures. I try pausing and restarting but it just never works out and just leaves me feeling really frustrated. I just wondered if any one has found the same problems and whether there might be any styles of exercise videos / instructions that people find more useful?

Whilst I'm here... just two more questions... what are other people's experiences with dyspraxia and age - I just am finding that things I practiced really hard at to get better at are starting to get a little trickier e.g. untying knots, untangling things (hose pipes) and avoiding tripping up.

Finally, is there an easier way to get to grips with using a mirror, again I might just be getting worse, but I really seem to struggle with both distinguishing right and left?

Sorry for asking for so much on first introductions.

Thanks
Paula
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: New here and looking for advice

Post by Xenavire »

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for finding exercise videos, nor am I an expert in how Dyspraxia affects us as we get older (I'm about 20 years too inexperienced to offer anything of value.)

However! I do have a (hopefully) helpful note for mirrors. For myself, I had horrible issues with brushing my hair or teeth while looking in the mirror, and when I learned to shave, that was the final straw. The trick is to look away! That might sound backwards, but as long as you use the mirror as a reference, and then turn away and finish brushing etc, it should hopefully make it easier for your brain to keep up. For myself, it gradually got better over years and I can sometimes manage while watching myself the whole time, but not looking is a lot easier, and I just use the mirror to make sure I didn't miss a spot.
Paula
New member - welcome them!

Re: New here and looking for advice

Post by Paula »

Thanks Xenavire for your reply and advice, it is much appreciated. I will keep searching for exercise videos that I find easier to follow. There must be some out there.

Thanks again for helping me out.