New & Confused

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Charlie3488
New member - welcome them!

New & Confused

Post by Charlie3488 »

Hey,

I am Charlotte, 32 and from Coventry. I have never been diagnosed with dyspraxia or spoken to anyone professional to get any sort of diagnosis, however in the last couple of years my mum is more and more ademant that I have some form of dyspraxia.

From a very young age, I have always been clumsy and very surprised that I have not broken any bones. My grandad would say I'd walk 3 steps and then trip over my own feet. When I was two, I leant to far over a fence and smack my head of a drain cover and then when I was 4 and newly learnt to ride a bike, I thought it would be a clever idea to ride down a steep hill which consequently resulted in me flying over the handlebars and smashing my head of the ground. All typical childhood accidents? Over the years I have been the but of the jokes for tripping over things, walking into things or bashing my head on something (I forget to close cupboard doors and more times than not forgot they are open and smacked my head of them).
Noone is shocked or surprised to hear my story or to see the bruises from my latest accident, its as if I am not aware of my surroundings.

As a baby, I have never been told of any late developments. My brother, a year older than me was sent to a speech therapist when he was 2-3 years old because he was slow to develop his speech skills where as I, a year younger started to talk at the relevant stages children are suppose to speak at. However, as an adult there are things I struggle with... firstly I have a lisp, which I have been conscious of for years, when i am aware I try to over compensate the particular word to get it out correct. I struggle to say my V's properly, van comes out as ran.
Sometimes I think my mouth speaks faster than my brain thinks and words can come out muddled.
I have always put this down to being my character and that I've moved around alot in my childhood years so would hear different accents.

At school, I was not very academic but I am definitely not stupid. I learn better by being shown how to do something several times rather than sitting trying to read a book. My best subjects was either art or ICT (information, communication, technology) and excelled in these two areas.
I loved going to school and seeing friends but would never do homework on time or was always late for registration. If I had to course work then I'd leave everything to the last minute, unless I had interest in the subject and then I'd sit for hours and complete the task.

I was lucky enough to get an apprentice job at 16 working in a letting agents and to this day I still work for the same company. My boss is fantastic and very supportive and we have developed a fantastic team over the years.
My organisation at work however are terrible, I always work in a mess, it's what I call organised chaos and its probably been like this for years without realisation.
My job can be high pressured and quick and I have a lot of responsibilities to juggle, sometimes I am really proactive and other times its such a chore.

I think i am reaching out today, for some answers or clarity and maybe what to do next? For the last 4-6 years I have felt more and more different and my mental health has suffered. I struggle to talk to people because I never want to feel like a burden and hate to think I am wasting the NHS time.
My memory has become worse, though i think this is more to do with stress and anxiety. I can be given an instruction one minute and then forget it the next, though long term memory is fine.
I find when my life is more chaotic and disorganised including the cleniness of my room (it can sometimes resemble a teenagers bedroom) the worse it becomes but if things are organised then I feel calmer, there are less accidents and I am way more productive.

I had a major melt down on Thursday, which is now why it is time to reach out and try to put some clarity and perspective in place.
Any advice, thoughts or help would be appreciated or even if anyone with experience thinks this is dyspraxia? Or something else?
Knowing maybe i have a certain condition will help take the strain of and i will stop beating myself up about things.

I have always struggled with life changes and I am about to have another change in my life, I have bought a property and will soon be moving in. I have never lived away from home before and want to be able to run a household and live a normal day to day life. Now is the time to start a fresh new chapter in so many ways.

Thank you for reading.

Charlotte.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: New & Confused

Post by Xenavire »

Hi Charlotte. I'd advise you look into getting a formal diagnosis, as having that question hanging over your head is likely adding to your stress. Not everyone reacts to the news the same way either, but you seem level headed and my guess is that you would be relieved to have an explanation, rather than feel hard done by because you aren't 'normal'.

At a glance I'd guess you might have it, so your mother might be on to something. Being clumsy as a young child is not unusual, but not 'growing out of it' is fairly typical for Dyspraxics, and the other issues you have mentioned certainly ring some bells. It can be hereditary, do you know if either of your parents, or your grandparents perhaps, were considered especially clumsy? That would be another potential indicator (although you can certainly have it without having inherited it. In fact, you can develop a form of Dyspraxia from injuries to the brain, as far as I'm aware, so it's possible you weren't even born with it.)

I hope you get the answers you need, either here or somewhere else.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New & Confused

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Charlie

A couple of months ago I took part in a Zoom Q&A run be Dyspraxic Circle with an Occupational Therapist from the Cov area who was involved in providing Neurodiversity services. You would not be wasting NHS time if speaking to someone and getting a definite answer either way would have you accept and move forwards avoiding a nervous breakdown.

When I found out about Dyspraxia, it was a relief in some ways but equally coming to terms with it took me a while as my coping strategy has always been to be extra hard on myself, so that my difficulties would hopefully not be apparent to others. Being a frustrated perfectionist can really weigh heavily!

I only got moved out from my parents when I was 37. It was scary at the time but I'm so glad I did as it has helped me gain confidence in myself even if there are some days I do not. I find I need to be strict with myself in terms or organisation, but then I ought to be tidying right now as my place is a bit of a pigsty. :-({|=
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)