Thank you

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CarrieKitch
New member - welcome them!

Thank you

Post by CarrieKitch »

Hi, my name is Carrie and I have just joined.
Thank you so much for this forum. I feel I am no longer alone!
When I was a child in the 1950's, falling over my feet, bumping into everything, especially door frames, unable to catch a ball, taking things literally, unable or too "stupid" to understand arithmetic or to make people like me, I had no idea there were other people out there who were the same.
My mother did say I had "clumsy child syndrome" but that was that.
Fortunately apart from games mistresses to whom I was a lost cause, I had some fantastic teachers as I went through school who taught me to hand sew, understand the non-algebra and non arithmetic aspects of Maths, and gave me a love of literature. They encouraged rather than criticised.
Learning to drive was a challenge, but one I eventually mastered, and by and large I've had a successful life.
But what a relief to see such a list of the things that I thought were "wrong" with me, all neatly listed as symptoms of dyspraxia.
As someone else has said, not as an excuse, but as a reason!
Thanks again.
BTW, I live now in New Zealand, so I'd be really happy to know any other Kiwis out there
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Thank you

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Carrie and welcome

Yes we do have some Kiwis in group. Due to relaxed pace they may not check in every night/day

Dyspraxia used to be known as Clumsy Child Syndrome but thankfully we live in more enlightened times, though some seem to think it is a condition we should 'grow out of'!
I think it's more a case of learning to cope better/care less. However sometimes the imposition of change can pull the rug out from under our feet. Some folk are regrettably too stupid or too lazy to accept that some of us think differently.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Thank you

Post by Xenavire »

Ex-pat Kiwi here, left a little over a decade ago (I moved for my girlfriend), but honestly I'm probably not the person you want to be talking about NZ with. I don't have a lot of fond memories (my school experience was far, far less positive than yours, and I suffered from severe depression from roughly 9-10 years old until about six months before I left (therapy and medication paid off in my case.))

I miss the food though. You'd be surprised what you take for granted going to another country - like basic baking powder is surprisingly hard to find, pies are practically unheard of, and mutton costs an arm and a leg.