Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sammyjane
New member - welcome them!

Hello

Post by Sammyjane »

Hello,

My name is Sammy,

I am happy that I have found this site on Google.

I am currently in my third year at university, and I am studying Applied Psychology (counselling & health). I was diagnosed with the developmental coordination disorder (dyspraxia) in my first year and also dyslexia (mild) which helped me understand many things about myself.
I have made it my mission since my diagnosis to raise awareness about this disorder because it seems there is still a lack of understanding surrounding it, especially in education environments. I find the lack of research in adults with DCD is not OK, but moreover the lack of research specifically regarding social isolation in adults with DCD. I recently conducted a minor research project for university and currently doing the write-up. I have been researching previous literature regarding social isolation in adults with DCD, and there seems to be nothing at all that brings them both together, no studies have been carried out, so it would seem mine is the first. I feel my research is essential so we can understand more about our condition and put provisions in place to help one another.

I am interested in this because I feel isolated myself due to the disorder. I try to avoid making friends because I worry about making a fool of myself. My memory processing is slow, and so I tend to forget things (a lot). So people mistake me for being ignorant when I ask them to repeat anything, so I just try to avoid it altogether even though I should not have too and they should understand right if they were real friends?
I feel my research is essential so we can understand more about our condition and how it makes us feel, so then we can put provisions in place to help one another.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Sammy and welcome

Social Isolation is definitely something, far too many of us struggle with. Often communication difficulties like auditory processing or problems speaking can really dent our confidence and cause us anxiety and fear.

If you ever want to share survey links to try to attract respondents and have Research Ethics approval from your University, we're happy to accommodate that. Similarly we/I can suggest other online Dyspraxia groups on Facebook or other places you might share calls for respondents. If you haven't already spotted it please do take at my resources directory in the Day to Day Living section.

A small number of folk from here have been mad enough to participate in a Zoom meeting with myself, appreciate Zoom and worse Faceache are not everyone's cup of tea!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)