New as well

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aquamarina
New member - welcome them!

New as well

Post by Aquamarina »

Hello!

Great to read your posts on here.

I'm new as well. I am now in my 50s and wasn't diagnosed until my nursing postgrad. It was a diploma when I applied 8 years ago and upon arrival had changed to a Masters. It can only be described as torturous. I always knew something wasn't right. My daughter has dyslexia and dyspraxia too.

Over the years I got very fed up of being told " I wasn't quite there " with something or " not quite polished enough ", " poor presentation " , more of an " ideas person "..... After which performance management issues began to kick in as things became computerised and audits of time and resources became stricter. My work was of good quality but took too long and I was not producing enough. Suffice to say I spent over 20 very stressful years in an office environment, which doesn't suit me, so then I retrained as a nurse, and as someone has said on this forum (Offeringempathy ?), I was good at perceptual and empathic activities. Health conditions and unexpected surgeries meant I had to change jobs again. Pension ages have risen and recently I inadvertently found myself back in an office( I thought it easier field based ) ....the training course attached involved a day a week at University and this time around it just dive bombed . I found the environment and course leaders pretty " cold" compared to the team spirit of the hospitals I had worked in. ( Course mates lovely but no one really knows what you mean when you say dyspraxia). Suffice to say I haven't flourished and I failed a fake situation,video recorded, very structured role pla twice. It just got worse and worse with practice. For me it's not so much spelling, but ordering and sequencing and being totally confused by mixed messages when receiving feedback.trying far too hard to tick boxes and losing the flow and overall onjective.

So ......feeling blue..... I have decided to join the forum and start researching online .having read only a few posts around studying I can relate to what members are saying and I feel so much better :D, I hadn't realised how significant my difficulties have been.

Take care everyone and hopefully we will all be able to get out into the sunshine sokn. Keep safe folks x
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New as well

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome Aquamarina

Hopefully you've found this but just in case viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7385
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)