Hello!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lynn
New member - welcome them!

Hello!

Post by Lynn »

Hello
I haven’t been formally diagnosed ....... yet. Had my first Autism assessment last week. The assessor suggested I may have dyspraxia. Never heard of it! Can’t stop reading about it now. Lots of information making perfect sense. I’m 50, spent my entire life not feeling quite ‘normal’
Excited and scared ...... and obviously overwhelmed and knackered :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lynne

Glad you've found us. I pitched up here about 9 years ago myself.

Dyspraxia is distinct from Autism though some people do have both and Dyspraxia and Autism do have shared traits/behaviours. There is a lot of contradictory info out there and a lot of myths. These include 'It only occurs in children and they will grow out of it.' Despite the shared condition,dyspraxics are all unique insofar as the degree and the ways they're affected and the individual coping strategies we put in place to ameliorate or mask our condition.

Because we spend our lives trying to conform to others'/our own interpretation of 'normal' we often find ourselves on the outside looking in and very often exhausted. Getting a formal diagnosis/confirmation, even in the UK can be difficult. Even then, there is regrettably not a lot of Dyspraxia-specific support, hence sites like this one.

If you click through to Day to Day Living there's a list of links to useful resources.

Feel free to have a look and don't be afraid to ask other questions if you need to.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)