Hello from Gloucester

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gloucester_Lad
New member - welcome them!

Hello from Gloucester

Post by Gloucester_Lad »

Hi, my name is Gloucester_Lad

I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia at the age of 8 and when i was in Junior school. i was helped at school but when i arrived at Secondary school i didn't get any help from staff members for it because they thought i didn't need it, when i was in Year 8, i was diagnosed with Epilepsy and since then have been on Carbamazepine for it.

At work, i have had problems over the years trying to explain to colleagues about both of them. I prefer to go slowly at work than fast to get things done correctly but even then colleagues say go faster which i can't do.

My dyspraxia is to do with balance as i cannot ride a bicycle even though i have tried in the past and currently prefer to take public transport than driving a car which i have done in the past as well, the driving instructor told me that i couldn't look at two things as the same time which doesn't help.

I enjoy Astronomy, Computer Games. Photography and Science fiction (such as Doctor Who and Star Trek) and have a NVQ in Business Administration levels 1 and 2 which a jobs advisor told me i couldn't get a job in Administration but i have had a job in it in the past and am trying to get back into from retail.

I look forward to post more in the forum in the days to come. :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello from Gloucester

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome Gloucster Lad

I'm also from Glos and we did have at least one other person on here a few years ago. Not sure she's still active on here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Gloucester_Lad
New member - welcome them!

Post by Gloucester_Lad »

Tom fod wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:18 am Welcome Gloucster Lad

I'm also from Glos and we did have at least one other person on here a few years ago. Not sure she's still active on here.
Glad to be here and at least you have someone else from Gloucester now.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Gloucester_Lad wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 am Hi, my name is Gloucester_Lad

I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia at the age of 8 and when i was in Junior school. i was helped at school but when i arrived at Secondary school i didn't get any help from staff members for it because they thought i didn't need it, when i was in Year 8, i was diagnosed with Epilepsy and since then have been on Carbamazepine for it.

At work, i have had problems over the years trying to explain to colleagues about both of them. I prefer to go slowly at work than fast to get things done correctly but even then colleagues say go faster which i can't do.

My dyspraxia is to do with balance as i cannot ride a bicycle even though i have tried in the past and currently prefer to take public transport than driving a car which i have done in the past as well, the driving instructor told me that i couldn't look at two things as the same time which doesn't help.

I enjoy Astronomy, Computer Games. Photography and Science fiction (such as Doctor Who and Star Trek) and have a NVQ in Business Administration levels 1 and 2 which a jobs advisor told me i couldn't get a job in Administration but i have had a job in it in the past and am trying to get back into from retail.

I look forward to post more in the forum in the days to come. :D
Hi again
I thought I'd post a fuller response

I do know of other Dyspraxics from the county but never really had the time or inclination to organise a meet-up. I have thought of doing a SW one but it can be like herding cats arranging a day, time and venue that would suit everyones needs.

I've been in office jobs for years. It was only in the last 10 years that I've really known or tried to understand Dyspraxia. In education, It does seem quite common that we're seen as 'too intelligent' to need help.

Better to be a bit slower and get things correct than have to go back and have to try to undo errors, smooth ruffled feathers etc.
I don't drive due to my poor eyesight, though it's not so bad that I would struggle with public transport so can get to where I need to by train/bus or on foot.

Have a nice weekend!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)