Hi I’m new here

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sarah289
New member - welcome them!

Hi I’m new here

Post by Sarah289 »

Hi everyone. My name is Sarah and I am 41. I have struggled all my life with many of the symptoms of Dyspraxia, but have never had a formal diagnosis. I used to think it was just the way I was, but now I am older, my short term memory is a lot worse - my boss at work will tell me something and I forget so quickly. I can drive, but it took me a very long time to learn and when I did pass, I was always hitting things! If I go anywhere new I use my Sat Nav but can still get lost and flustered. Also, my handwriting is fine, but I can’t draw a simple diagram and o am very clumsy. I cannot dance - not even the Macarena when I am on holiday - which adds more to my despair! All of this is really affecting my mental health and my work relationships, because my colleagues call me slapdash, they just think I am thick basically! Can anybody give me any advice about being referred to an occupational therapist or somebody qualified to carry out an assessment please? Thank you very much Sarah x
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi I’m new here

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Sarah

There regrettably isn't a defined pathway for getting confirmation of adult dyspraxia on the NHS so it can sometimes be difficult for GPs to arrange referral. There is the Access to Work option which can be accessed through direct gov.uk or via Jobcentre plus. It is still worth talking to your GP as he/she may be able to assist you in accessing counselling.

Please also check out the Dyspraxic Doctor website https://www.thedyspraxicdoctor.com/blog/ and www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk.

Happy to try to answer any other questions you might have.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)