Well Hello there!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

William
New member - welcome them!

Well Hello there!

Post by William »

So, my story.

All my life I've been clumsy, have had poor co-ordination with hand-to-eye skills (making the life of your average little boy pretty embaressing) and most of all absolutely illegible handwriting. I thought this was all down to simply bad luck. In my GCSEs (I'm in England) I did a mixture of pretty abysmally in some subjects to an A* in English Lit, and I thought simply that this was due to me having very particular strength and weaknesses.

For my A levels I moved to a different school to study English Lit, Geography, Biology and Classical Civilizations, luckily at this school the learning support group were very supportive and got me listed as dyslexic/dyspraxic simply as a way to get hold of a laptop for my exams, no one thinking I actually had a learning difficulty but simply wanting to help my handwriting. This paid off alot and I managed to get 4 A's in my A levels.

I'm now at Uni and in order to continue gaining support i had to go in for a full dyslexia/dyspraxia assessment performed by the psychology department, I honestly didn't think it would come back as either. I went in today and got my results, no to dyslexia but I apparently am dyspraxic. Considering I hadn't really heard much of dyspraxia before now, what it was, what the symptons were etc were all explained to me and many of them do apply to me. In all honesty up until today I just thought I had a few little oddities, and that they were simply unexplainable, it's nice to know that there is at least a name for what I am and that I'm not alone :) I thought i'd join thisforum to find out about other peoples experiences and of course share my own.

In terms of interests, they're varied. I love music, particularly metal and operatic/choral music and to this end I write and edit for an online music mag. I enjoy minature wargaming, although obviously the painting side is tricky. Gaming is also rather fun. I'm also a Pagan (Asatru) and to that end I am secretary of my Uni's Pagan society.

Oh yes, I am currently studying Classical and Historical Archaeology with the hopes of oneday either doing a masters or teaching history at High School level.

Thanks for reading,

Will
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

YAY! Archaeologist! *glomps*

I'm studying BA archaeology. Arch's great, innit? I'm at Durham. Where are you studying? have you ever been on a dig?

Welcome to the forum!
William
New member - welcome them!

Post by William »

Esioul wrote:YAY! Archaeologist! *glomps*

I'm studying BA archaeology. Arch's great, innit? I'm at Durham. Where are you studying? have you ever been on a dig?

Welcome to the forum!
I'm at Sheffield Uni, been on the same dig the past two years for some work exp at an Anglo-Saxon/Medieval site in West Lincolnshire.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

What's the site called, and what sort of stuff have you found there? I went to Bulgaria this summer and got to dig up a skeleton O:) I went digging in Scotland a few years ago... itneresting site, but found zilch. What ssort of period is your favorite?

I notice you like opera as well- good taste ;)
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

Hey, welcome I'm Meg
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum, William! You've got some really tastes and interesting hobbies there. Sorry to hear that it's taken so long for you to get diagnosed, but at least from here you can look forward with the information you've got.

Dan
Forum admin
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi William, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time you spend here!

which music mag do you do some stuff for? as it is a little hobbie I had a few years ago while in College, but haven't got my keyboard plugged to my pc since then!

I did do music, and sound recording tech, both of them fun, apart from my hand-eye co!!!

my main problem was starting a project, I never found that easy, but then once I started, then I found it as easy as anything!

welcome anyway.

Mike
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

A glomp! I don't think I've seen a glomp since Bliz, I thought it didn't happen anymore :P

Greetings and Salutations to you William.
scotsman008
Getting settled in

STEAM (LOCOMOTIVE) PASSION

Post by scotsman008 »

Hi Will, Its Carl Wood here,

I hear youre interested in all sorts of stuff, does that include steam locomotives.

My dyspraxia was discovered in october 2007 after I screwed up driving lessons. I was bullied a lot in school because I was considered dumb and clumsy, I am now at Leeds Thomas Danby doing a full time art course.

I hope to speak to you soon, do you have a mobile number and msn email address?

See you later

From your friend Carl
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Hey Will, you're a man after my own heart! Im currently studying Forensic Archaeology, (which isnt as complicated as it sounds). Mind you, in saying that the reason I breathe is all for Arx.

I ran a dig down at lechlade a few years ago, found the "remains" of an Iron Age settlement (lots of roundhouses).

You are certainly going to fit in around here!

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.