Hey... new here!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Martyn89
New member - welcome them!

Hey... new here!

Post by Martyn89 »

Hello everyone... my name is Martyn, im 24 years of age,and currently having a hell of a time coping with my dyspraxia, and is wanting to shed some light on this before things get out of hand to be fair.

Parents sent me to a special needs school untill I was around 8, then put me in a mainstream primary school, then went onto secondary school where everyone thought I wasnt going to do very well at things... but I proved them wrong by working so hard to get into college where I studied my National Diploma in 3D design crafts gaining a high distinction when graduating, then went onto study my BA hons in 3D contemporary crafts gaining a 2:2, and most recently I was offered to study a masters degree in furniture design but couldnt get the funding.

But since graduating from uni I just feel that things have started going downhill from there... iv had so much trouble finding work as all i have managed to find is rubbish low wage jobs, but unfortunatly I lost a very good job in feb 2013 as a rapid prototyping apprentice that only lasted for 6 months when they sacked me because I told them about my dyspraxia and that they wanted someone who was more capable of doing the job properly.

But yeah... I just feel things have started spiraling downwards from there and im just struggling to cope with things.

Anyway would be good to hear from you guys and if there are any solutions to my problems.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hey... new here!

Post by Tom fod »

Martyn89 wrote:
. . . only lasted for 6 months when they sacked me because I told them about my dyspraxia and that they wanted someone who was more capable of doing the job properly.

But yeah... I just feel things have started spiraling downwards from there and im just struggling to cope with things.

Anyway would be good to hear from you guys and if there are any solutions to my problems.
Hi Martyn

Welcome to the forums (or fora).

Reading your post made me feel angry, From what I read I can quite understand why you're struggling to cope after a kick to your confidence like that. delivered by your former employer.

Disclosing you have dyspraxia should not result in pretty much instant dismissal. Did you report the employer or look into bringing an unfair dismissal case against them? Do you have anything in writing? I'd recommend you explore the idea. I'd start by talking to ACAS on 08457 47 47 47. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

Appreciate you may not want to seek reinstatement at a company like that but don't let their shortsightedness ruin your life. Find an employer who will value your contribution and move on.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Martyn89

Post by Martyn89 »

Well.... part of it was my fault for not letting the company know about my dyspraxia during my interview in the first place, but i didnt think to mention about my dyspraxia back then because I thought everything was going to be okay... but after a few months working there I felt I was struggling a little bit so decided to speak to one of the comapny managers, who seemed a bit annoyed with me.
But anyway long story short... was asked to go for a meeting about my performance around lunchtime on the 11th of feb, and all I had to do was fill out a a performance form where I had to write down how I felt things were going... manager leaves me for 10 mins, comes back in and looks at it, and says to come back around 4 ish... by then alarm bells started ringing.
Went back about 4 ish having to wait half an hour to go speak to managers etc whilst alarm bells still rining in my head... next thing I know im sat in the room with 3 other members of staff whilst one of the managers sat there and did all the talking.. said they were temrinating my contract with one weeks notice but dont bother coming back the next day... and I just sat there in absolute shock and said to them... you cant just do that when Im clearly struggling with my dyspraxia that iv told you about many times... iv been working as hard as I can since starting here.
Manager just turns round to me and says, well if you told us about your dyspraxia during the job interview in the first place we probarbly wouldnt have given you the job, as were looking for someone who is more capable of doing the job.. argh it just infuriates me speaking about it lol.

I looked at reporting the company and trying them for unfair dismissal, but felt a bit iffy about the idea just incase the company I worked for tried to cover their backs and try and sue me.
Anyways Its all in the past now and I just want to look forward to the future.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Manager just turns round to me and says, well if you told us about your dyspraxia during the job interview in the first place we probarbly wouldnt have given you the job, as were looking for someone who is more capable of doing the job
That is outright discrimination! It makes me so mad to think they have got away it, and the way you were dismissed was disgusting. Btw there is no legal requirement to disclose a disability during the application process- when someone is offered the job, it is also not compulsory to disclose it. In terms of taking action against the employer on the grounds of unfair dismissal, unfortunately it seems you are too late, as it has to be started within 3 months of being fired: http://www.winstonsolicitors.co.uk/unfa ... imits.html

Anyone else on here who finds themselves on the receiving end of discrimination for having dyspraxia should bear this in mind. It doesn't matter whether your contract is temporary or permanent or how long you have worked there when it comes to disability discrimination, but if you want to take legal action against your employer you have to do it very soon after losing your job.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Hi Martyn if they terminated your contract within a six month probationary period and having gone through the disciplinary procedures, purely because of poor performance and failure to improve then they were probably within the law.

However, if they genuinely used your dyspraxia as the justification for firing you, then that's as about a clear a case as you can get for illegal discrimination and unfair dismissal.

If they did that to me, I would have shown them up in court for their own arrogant incompetence.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Martyn89

Post by Martyn89 »

To be fair they didnt go through the disciplinary procedures.. all they did was do a review of my performance review within the last 6 months, and then did a 2 week performance review with me 2 weeks later.. same day I got sacked too. Aparantly in both reviews someone had been saying that I wasnt listening to what was being instructed, that I didnt seem to be interested in what was going on! I argued with everyone that what had been said was unfair as I had been working so hard, but I guess that wasnt enough for them.
There was a 6 month probationary period though I feel they didnt do the propper discaplinary procedures with me.. so to me I think they were up to something and probarbly trying to cover their own backs maybe?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Martyn

Unsurprisingly most people here see your ex employers handling of your employment and dismissal as deeply wrong. Do try to think of it as it being their loss not yours. You are better off not working for such a shortsighted bunch who clearly failed to recognise and nurture your potential. It hardly inspires loyalty or hard work if people treat you dismissively.

I appreciate you now wish to move on and I hope I/we can reassure you that there are many decent employers out there who will invest time and money to get the best out of their employees' abilities. Please feel free to make yourself at home here, read about other peoples experiences, borrow ideas and post questions and comment where you feel able. You can and will find something and you're not alone.

Disclosure is a thorny issue and there's quite a bit of discussion about it in the work section. We all want to be employed for what we can do and to be accepted for that, not because of the disability/difference label attached. There does need to be better awareness of dyspraxia and I believe more of us need to say yes I'm affected by Dyspraxia but I am capable and I can and do make a very worthwhile contribution.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Martyn89

Post by Martyn89 »

To be fair I think they made the biggest mistake getting rid of me, but its their loss anyway as I was allways on time for work, worked hard as I could, kept my head down, and pretty much got on with everyone who worked there, though there was a certain few who drove me up the wall.
But hopefully i should be my own boss when i get my recycled and reclaimed furniture business up and running when i can get funding for it.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Hiya Martyn!

I hope you like it here. :)

As others have said, it's their loss. Stupid people. :@
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D