Hi - new here - good to have found this place

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Saphyra
Getting settled in

Hi - new here - good to have found this place

Post by Saphyra »

Hi!

I am Saphyra, 35 year old and I have been puzzled at my life and my problems nearly all my life. I was an outsider in primary school due to bad performance and odd behavior and thought that something is wrong with me - I always had the feeling that something is not right with me..

My mum told me when I was 20 that I was diagnosed as an infant as I did not learn to walk and they had to make special exercises to get me going at all.. She didn't say dyspraxia but that the development of nerve cells in the cerebellum was underdeveloped and causing me to not being able to walk, swim or ride a bicycle. As a teenager I always asked myself, what went wrong - or thought that I was complete failure in everything I do..

Later I found out that I am good at remembering dates and numbers and also at learning languages - this boosted my self-confidence and I got on quite well at school.

But still I am not like others, I see other things and think differently mostly much more complicated. People know it and some show me their disapproval or more or less their false sympathy. I'm not good at driving and people make fun of me. I also have difficulty with mostly easy everyday stuff and just do not seem to be able to manage so many things as others do. This bothers me especially as the others don't understand and criticize you and that's what we all have to get to hear..Even my mum didn't stop to criticize me..

Nevertheless, my hobbies are socializing with friends with similar interests, travelling and reading - although I am not good at organizing and have lost a few of my belongings, including whole bags, etc. I don't give in to it and try to accept it and have fun -

Just don't let others take your fun - go your way and make your dreams come true -
I try to go for it now, try to get over all insecurities
I have gathered throughout my life and will battle them.. Don't know how to begin but just try to be determined -
Tokis86
Getting settled in

Re: Hi - new here - good to have found this place

Post by Tokis86 »

Hiya :D !

I have just joined this forum today too- i have also suffered with Dysphraxia all my life & struggle to do certain basic normal day-to-day things too. I have never had any help about it and i have never met anyone else with Dysphraxia. After being in denial about having Dysphraxia for years, i've just started properly researching it and i'm hoping to learn much more about it and (hopefully) find answers, solutions or advice over my problems.

Its really refreshing meeting someone else who shares the same disorder as i do- nice to meet you ^_^v !
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

Welcome to the forum Tokis and Saphyra :grin:

I seemed to have a few of the same problems as you did in school (support staff more than regular staff) and I also have trouble to ride bicycles. I hope that joining here will help you see that though you have dyspraxia that it in itself is what makes you special \:D/

:banana: :evilb: :banana:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Welcome to the forum Saphyra, hope you feel at home here.

Mike
Saphyra
Getting settled in

Post by Saphyra »

Hi all!

Thanks so much for welcoming me! Nice to meet you all!

Yes, Tokis, the denial about it made it much more difficult - when my mum told me with 20 that I have had this problem since my early childhood, I did not really comprehend all these things that were affected and later had a period of denial when I also used alcohol to be able to belong to really 'cool' people as I thought back then.
However, now as I read more about it with my openness, it helps me a lot to accept in and as you said, LauraECFan, have regarded it in a fashion that makes us special in a way :) Not everything about it is bad and with age you understand much more and you can cope with it in a better way..

I did not at all get support but was laughed at in sports and was even grabbed by my sports teacher and drawn into some situation I was afraid of with a kind of violence. I experienced much humiliating moments, especially in the sports lessons and my mum did not consider it to be necessary to inform the teachers about my condition... She only did it when my A-level grade was jeopardized..

Saphyra