HI ALL

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

David464
New member - welcome them!

HI ALL

Post by David464 »

Hi folks I'm David.

I'm 29 and a student teacher at uni (or should I say trying to stay at uni!!). My uni and I have had a lot of issues recently, even asking me to withdraw. But I appealed and within the last few days I have been told by an Ed Psyc that I'm dyspraxic. Anywho hope you're having fun (hahaha), introduce yourselves do.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Re: HI ALL

Post by calumfsinclair »

Hi there, I'm newish as well but it's great to talk with similar people!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Hi and welcome to the forum

Yea unie and me havent got on so well and there has been some real issues and I did drop out and had to get help to deal with the mental issues I faced soon after. I feel that if I had known more about my dyspraxicia and genralie how it can / does affect me then it could have gone better.

Hopefully you can stay in unie - now you have the digignosis you can ask for help and get some understanding.

Quite a fue of us on hear have gone through the same experance so your not alone.
The real Mr Potato Head
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Hi David. It's really important to get the support of Disability Services (which is often part of Student Services) at your university. Even though you have been diagnosed as having dyspraxia by a psychologist, don't assume that your course tutors will understand your needs and put in place appropriate measures for you (such as arranging a suitable placement at a school without any major behavioural problems, with a supportive mentor). I was actually diagnosed during what should have been my final PGCE placement, after my mentor had slated me for doing things which were a direct result of me having dyspraxia. However, even when I'd been diagnosed, it was a long time until I got the kind of support I needed (I actually ended up having a break from the course, whilst the tutors faffed around hoping I would withdraw altogether). I got my PGCE in the end, but that was as a result of Disability Services intervening (including having meetings with the PGCE course tutors) to ensure that they took my needs into consideration.

It makes me really angry when I read about yet another person with dyspraxia who has been pressurised by ignorant people into giving up on becoming a teacher. From my experiences, people in the teaching profession often have prejudices that people like us 'won't be able to cope,' but I feel that we're uniquely placed to understand pupils who struggle with learning. For many of us, our own school days were not an easy ride, so I believe we have a lot to offer as teachers.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Welcome to the board, David! I'm sorry to hear uni tried to get you to give up! In fact that is darn awful of them. Some people are just not willing to understand that there might be reasons for certain behaviour; we're not all straight on the ball types.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D